Author Topic: Yokohama port advice  (Read 3588 times)

Offline astralclouds

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Yokohama port advice
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:45 AM »
I am new to ship spotting and actually have a reason to want to spot the Maersk Skarstind entering/leaving Yokohama port this Friday (11th Aug 2017) as all my worldly goods are in a container on board.

Does anyone have or can link to advice on where to best view the ship arriving/departing the APM terminal?

I may reward this forum with a few photos, but as my decent camera gear is on board this ship, it will be smartphone pictures only at this stage.

Thanks
astralclouds

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Yokohama port advice
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Hi astralclouds,

There should be no impossible things, but this is one close to impossible.
APM terminal at Yokohama is tucked well inside the industrial area; otherwise it would be possible to have a glimpse from the harbor tour boat.

Thinking outside the box, the way to lay a proper ambush for a vessel coming to Yokohama would be to wait for it at the entrance of Tokyo bay, in Uraga channel from Yokosuka side.

Also, knowing the exact time of arrival (or a very precise AIS data) of your vessel, and being very lucky with the ferry schedule, it would be possible to observe the particular ship entering Tokyo Bay from Kurihama-Kanaya ferry. Also, this would be the only possibility to use the phone camera, as all coastal ship spotting positions require 200 mm lens.

I hope I am wrong, and I'm waiting for more experienced Japanese spotters' input.

Cheers

Vlad

Offline MS3866

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://shipbuild2.exblog.jp/
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Hello astralclouds,

I'm living in Yokohama.
 The best view is to go near the terminal, but this area is far from the public transportations, like train or bus. So it is hard to go there for the people working there.
Of course, you can take a ride on a taxi, it costs at least JPY5,000 for one way.Those area is an industrial area as Vlad mentioned, so you have to make taxi wait to go back the city, and it costs double for a taxi.
 If you want more question, please contact me a message to me.

Offline Stefan Mauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
Thanks for the clarification!
My friend always plays with dignity. He plays the best games around. There's a huge number of games available online. Know what, it's now or never.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk