Author Topic: Shipping Special!! Marie Maersk arriving in a force 7 gale with 4 tugs 3rd Augus  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Force 7? No big deal and no big story!

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Bob

Your right

Must be a difference between a force 7 gale in Europe and off Bluff in NZ !!
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Well Bob and Chris,,
wind is by my experience much more the problem for container ships than waves/sea, special close to ports
or inside ports when the vessels moving slow. Why you think they use 4 tugs,,,because it is no big deal ?
I remember when we were only half loaded by draught and had 6-7 high empty containers on deck.
I once needed 1.5 hrs with 3 tugs to berth the vessel in Hamburg in 2006,,with force 5 winds !!!
That vessel was the ex CSAV Santos,,not really considered anymore a bigger container ship with "only" 2500 TEU
but you can believe me,,they behave like sailing vessels when slowing down and to keep them in control is a task and not "no big deal"
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Deano C125

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Deano C's Youtube channel
Too true Captain Ted. Someone with experience understanding the windage these mega container ships make.   The wind was top end of force 7 coming from the South West. The only thing the pilot had was those 4 tugs holding her back from the wind for a controlled landing alongside.  With CMA CGM ordering bigger ships, what will be the consequences with much larger windage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk