Author Topic: Grangemouth viewpoint  (Read 4399 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Grangemouth viewpoint
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
Is there public access out along South Shore Road at Grangemouth, or out towards the lock entrance by foot?
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Grangemouth viewpoint
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »
Chris,

I re-posted your question on a railforum up here (most of us have in interest in more than one form of transport!) and from my own (limited) knowledge and local people on the ground said a resounding NO as there are security gates on the roads you have highlighted. Sorry! Our best advice is to view from either North or South Queensferry or if you have a head for heights the cycle/pathway on the existing Forth Road Bridge. Traffic into Grangemouth is not heavy so if you have transport you will have to sit in car and watch AIS for movements.

If you want to get on the water there is the boat from South Queensferry to Inchcolm Island (worth doing). You could get the earliest ferry and spend day on Island and you will see anything that is moving plus have the Forth Rail Bridge as a backdrop. The ferry also passes 2 major oil/gas terminals so you may get lucky with a movement.

Hope this helps, any questions please let us know and do our best to provide an answer.

ps. If you are North of the Border then very worthwhile going up to Aberdeen as it's a very (by modern security standards anyway) open port with plenty of viewpoints plus harbour boat tours too.

Andrew

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
Thank you very much for your kind help and advice, Andrew, much appreciated. Inchcolm looks close enough to the main channel to make it interesting for traffic.

I'd like to see if I can get to your neck of the woods in the autumn.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »
[Not anymore Andrew, many new large fences and gates, was like this last time I went, as with most ports(air, sea or land) security has gone wild, spoils it for enthusiasts.

If you are North of the Border then very worthwhile going up to Aberdeen as it's a very (by modern security standards anyway) open port with plenty of viewpoints plus harbour boat tours too.

Andrew
[/quote]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk