Author Topic: Yacht tenders  (Read 18176 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Yacht tenders
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
There are a small, but growing, number of "yacht tenders" - ie seagoing vessels that provide support of various kinds to superyachts - supply, storage, diving, helicopter operations.  Here's an example:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2658802
http://www.yacht-support.nl/yacht-support/range/ys-6911

Interesting question where to categorise these?
Not a yacht, but a yacht's tender.
Does function to supply a yacht, but nothing to do with the offshore supply industry
"Workboats and tenders" seems the best we have, but still doesn't quite seem right.
Could be a new sub-category in "Special purpose ships"

We should agree on one place for them.  Members' thoughts are welcome.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Yacht tenders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
looks almost like his one,, also not really sure where she belongs to. Listed as crewing tender and such,,but was shown as passenger vessel in AIS.  massive rebuild compared with her former appearance.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2658240
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Hello David & Theo

David I would say a new sub category in Special Purpose ships would be the most sensible, as Work Boats is nowhere near it.

Theo that one is down as a Yacht so Yacht Tender in the new category would suit better.

Best Wishes
Adrian
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
From my perspective, crew boats not involved in the offshore oil industry, such as the small fleets in most ports that ferry crew, mail, supplies, etc to and from anchored cargo ships, are generally recommended to be included in either the "Off Shore Crew Vessels" or the "Work Boats including Crew Boats and Tenders" categories. Where, exactly, the distinction is drawn is not particularly clear, as many could have started life in the oilfields, or are built to designs identical to those that did.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2184484
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2653875
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2650895

Yacht tenders, in essence, perform the same services as those vessels, albeit usually as larger, more luxurious vessels. If the consensus has been to lump non-oilfield crew boats in with the oilfield ones since they provide the same kind of commercial services to different types of customers, I don't see why why one additional, very specific and limited industry should get it's own special category.

If a change for clarification is desired, maybe separating all non-oilfield crew boats, including yacht suppliers, into a clearly defined subcategory of Passenger Vessels, Special Purpose Vessels or even workboats should be considered instead.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:11:12 PM by Kyle Stubbs »
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:22:28 PM »
I think I remember having seen some large cruise ships that carry their own passenger tenders on board, when visiting ports for which they are to big to enter, such as Monte Carlo. What category are these in?

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
How about a cathegory "re-build and/or re-purpose", This could also cover such things as re-build shrimper to general cargo vessels and/or landing crafts which are now serving as general cargo ships and same with supplier from the oil fields.  Those are always hard to place.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Clydee

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »
The categories are for categories of ships, not categories of markets they service.

I therefore suggest that yacht tenders be included in the Support sub category of Offshore.  The type of yacht serviced is likely to be capable of operating offshore.

I doubt that there are enough yacht tenders to justify a category of their own.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
They would look odd in Offshore's Support category among what's usually in there.  I'd suggest to just place them in Special Purpose Ships.
And there's pretty much enough of categories so far for members to misplace their photos.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:46:58 PM »
There are hardly likely to be very many of these vessels so I think the logical placece for them is as Special Purpose Vessels.
BTW: One such vessel, the Damen-built GAME CHANGER, is due in London today.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
I think I remember having seen some large cruise ships that carry their own passenger tenders on board, when visiting ports for which they are to big to enter, such as Monte Carlo. What category are these in?

They go in "ships' lifeboats and tenders", Pieter:
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Ships%27%20Lifeboats%20and%20Tenders

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 07:08:11 AM »
OK, David, but they fulfill the same role as the yacht tenders, so these could be put there as well. But as Clyde mentioned, taking people from shore to an offshore contraption, whether floating or fixed is their main design purpose, so that is where they should be.  Like my hobbyhorse, an LR2 carrying crude oil is not a crude oil tanker but a product tanker.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
The tenders in question are not the same at all - they re not primarly to transport people and are not part of the yacht itself.  They are large independent sea-going vessels in their own right and provide a range of services to a yacht-owner. 

I think that a consensus seems to be coming towards "special service vessel"

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »
Hello All
[
Like David said, Ships lifeboats and Tenders is the most sensible category to put them in.

Work Boats category needs the extra bit deleting so it gores back to purely Work boats

Best Wishes
Adrian
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Clydee

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
David, when you say "I think that a consensus seems to be coming towards "special service vessel""
do you mean the main category of Special Purpose Ships? Or would you suggest a subcategory within that just for Yacht tenders, or perhaps for All Other Special Purpose Ships?

I would prefer a subcategory titled All Other Special Purpose Ships, which may be useful for a range of other vessels.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »
For me ships=vessels
We already have one, Clyde, with 3693 photos in it (though some may belong elsewhere)
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_category_1=62

Then we only need to create a subcategory for the specific ship type if we get a lot of them (like the current 1183 firefighting vessels and the 976 waste disposal vessels)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk