Author Topic: Problem posting pictures.  (Read 7187 times)

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Problem posting pictures.
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Hi,

Most of you will "know" me as commentary contributor.
I'm however a shipspotter as well. In the past I posted two pics and as I realize I got some interesting pics to share I tried to post some more today. However I have to crop my pictures heavily to get them to the 4000x4000 pixel limitation. So a lot of pictures I'm not able to post as part of the ship will be cropped away.
Now last year i bought myself a new camera (RX-10) which is very nice but nothing special to some high-end camera's I see among the top posters (Exif data). I can't imagine that all of you shoot your pics at a (much) lower resolution than the "best" setting of your specific camera's.
So please explain me what the trick is here to get your pictures down to the 4000x4000 pixel limitation.

Cheers,
Roy

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
Re: Problem posting pictures.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
I have a Panasonic FZ1000 which shoots at 20+mp resolution. I use Corel Paintshop Pro x8 to reduce the image size down to the minimum specs (1152x768) for uploading on to here, keeping the master image at full size should it be needed elsewhere.

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply Patrick!

You use, quality wise, an equal camera as I have.
Now as I use a Mac I'm not so fond of installing all kind of extra software.
In the meantime I googled it on internet how to do it on a Mac and I found it.
So, time permitting, I will post some pics from now on.

On a different subject how happy are you with your camera and any tricks you use on this style of camera?

Cheers,
Roy

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
Hi,

I also use a Mac and I have a Nikon D3300 which goes above the max. file size and resolution for this website.
To resize them, I use the standard Photos app which Apple supplies with each Mac.
With the export function - which you can find under "File" in the menu bar - you can export a resized version of your picture.
When exporting you can also select the size (= resolution) of the exported picture from a number of presets or a custom resolution of your choice.
Additionally you can also choose the JPEG quality to limit file size.

I hope this is useful for you.

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
I use "Resize" function in Fast Stone Image Viewer, together with some sharpening, which is the "standard operating procedure" when reducing the picture size.

Fast Stone allows for batch operations, meaning that I can select hundreds of pictures, and resize them all with one click (it does take time, but the process runs in the background). For that other site that I am contributing to (where I have 30,000+ photos uploaded, oh, the vanity!) I am going with 2272x... size, because it takes significantly less time to upload smaller photos.

Roy, please do upload your photos, I am sure there will be plenty interesting stuff for all to see!

Cheers

Vlad

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:19:11 AM »
Thanks gents for your comments!

Cedric I found a way in "preview" to resize the pictures to any amount you like, this gives me the possibility to crop not that much so the quality will not be degraded that much. Of course in that case I'll have to post from home, internet on board is so-so at the very best.

Vlad I will do my best and post more regularly. All together we have a great collection of pictures on this site.
I sincerely hope the server space will be big enough in the future for all the pictures we post.

Cheers,
Roy

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
I have to admit I am very happy with the FZ1000 - has to be one of the best bridge cameras available. I tend to shoot in aperture priority mode - even at 100iso I still get good shutter speeds - I find digital cameras seem to be a lot more tolerant of slower shutter speeds than film cameras were.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
@Patrick. Helped, I suspect, by developments in anti-shake technology.

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 02:51:44 AM »
Hi Patrick,
Good to hear the FZ1000 is fulfilling your needs, guess quality wise it's the same as the RX10, you have however a little more zoom-range.
Also shoot only in aperture-mode.
Cheers,
Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk