Author Topic: Stade, River Elbe  (Read 3323 times)

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Stade, River Elbe
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:41 AM »
All

Thinking of spending a day or two on banks of the Elbe at or near to Stade and wondered if anyone has advice on best locations nearby or other useful information. Not sure how close to the south bank the deepwater channel is or if there are hotels with good views onto the river. Any suggestions welcomed. Will be using public transport - no car on this occasion.
With thanks
Piet

Offline Klaus_D

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Stade, River Elbe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
Hallo PietB,

If it must not be Stade, I recommend Altenbruch near Cuxhaven. Here you can also see the ships coming from the Ciel Canal or going there. That is far more than from the Ciel Canal to Hamburg. Cuxhaven is easy to reach by train. Altenbruch has also a train station but I do not know whether the train stops there. In Altenbruch you have the Hotel Deutsches Haus (http://www.deutsches-haus-altenbruch.de). From there it is about 1.5 km to the river Elbe. There is the buoy bath. There are some benches to sit. On the dike is a bistro. The shipping channel is only a few meters away. From there you can see very early the ships at a distance.

I wish you many good photos
Klaus_D

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »
Hi PietB,
near Stade is Stadersand. The perfect location for spotting ships. The ships are very very close in front of you. A small selfservice restaurant with a balcony is also there. The food is cheap and good, also they have toilettes.
To come there you need a car.  I think there is no public transport. When i'm in the north i always visit this place. Another good place is L
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:36:32 AM »
Hi Peter & Klaus

Thank you for your good advice.

Best

piet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk