Author Topic: Canvey Island  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Canvey Island
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »
I am considering a run to Canvey Island to indulge in a days shipspotting. Can anyone advise re best place to park up etc,when is the best time to see ships bound for London Gateway, and also the tanker berths? I've looked on Google Earth and the area looks quite built up, are there any recommended spots? Where do the local Shipspotters go? 

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Canvey Island
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
You will be aware that you will be facing south, so early and late in the day are better.

Anywhere on the sea-wall above Western or Eastern Esplanade is probably as good as anywhere else; there is the Labworth Caf

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
As David says, the Esplanade is good for all movements but the sun can be a problem. The cafe was open the other week and quite reasonably priced and its right on the seafront. The adjacent car park only cost a max of
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:22:10 PM by Robert J Smith »

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
Thank you both very much. I shall have a run down there in the next three weeks.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Hi Colwyn

With regard to ship movements, its worth noting on arriving vessels that NESPP times are a couple of hours before they pass Canvey and the SUNKP times are 3 - 4 hours before.
eg: SUNKP 0800 means round midday at Canvey

Regards

Bob

Clydee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
Hi Bob and David

That is excellent information for including in a Shipspotting Locations upload.  So that others may see and use it when this series of posts is buried in our files

See http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipspotting%20Locations

Clyde

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
Perhaps you could do one, Bob?  I don't have any photos to base it on (or the possibility of goinf there to do one!).  Feel free to copy the map.

David

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »
Yeah, I'll see what I can do

Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk