Author Topic: New Category - Shipspotting Locations  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
New Category - Shipspotting Locations
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:08:49 AM »
Hi Everyone,

For some time members have requested and offered information about good shipspotting locations.  There now is a means for this to be formalised and part of our category structure.

There is an option to not only to record directions to a location but also show images and street maps in its area.

Support material for the new category can be reached by clicking this link or alternatively by going to the Support tab on the Home Page, under Category Site Standards, and clicking on Shipspotting Locations for a helpful FAQ titled Shipspotting Locations. It is a subcategory of Harbour Overview Images.

Please help to make use of this new feature by adding information about your favourite location.

Best Regards
Cody

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
Re: New Category - Shipspotting Locations
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:16:08 AM »
Hi again Everyone,

I just thought I would add; many of you will be posting a link from Google Maps and in most cases this can take up quite a few lines in your image description. This can end up looking quite messy and distracting or the link will cut off like it has done below.

For example: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Low+Head+TAS+7253/@-41.0551793,146.8030872,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0xaa7988d59c39cbfb:0x0503c94dd0de1260

To get around this, you can use do the following to neaten things up.

1. Copy the following snippet of code where you would like the link to be within the photo description.

Code: [Select]
[url=LINK]TITLE[/url]
2. Double click on LINK and paste the link to the page that your referring to.
3. Double click on TITLE and start typing the name that you wish to call your link.

This can be used site wide.

I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards
Cody
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:34:32 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:27:49 AM »
Bump

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »
May I remind members that Shipspotting Locations is a special category.  Its purpose is to assist other members by providing directions to good shipspotting locations and other helpful information; in particular it is a requirement that precise location information is provided.

It is not to be used for merely uploading photographs that do not fit anywhere else or views of distant ships - these are liable to deletion.  The category standards are here: http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipspotting%20Locations

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk