Author Topic: American Tug boat Sea Star from movie Virus 1999.  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
American Tug boat Sea Star from movie Virus 1999.
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
hello all.
i have been trying to find more info on a tug boat called 'Sea Star' that was used in the movie Virus (1999) that started Donald Sutherland, Stephen Bladwin and Jamie Lee-Curtis.

i have included a pic of the tug below.

thank you.
Tony

Offline skull17

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: American Tug boat Sea Star from movie Virus 1999.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
there were two tugs modified to play the SEA STAR. MANIE L PINER blt. 1906 US#203782 and COMET blt. 1887 US#135958. One boat, believed to be the COMET was cut apart at the waterline and placed on a set of barge mounted hydraulics for pitching effects. The one believed to be MANIE L PINER was used as a floating prop.
The barge mounted unit was reportedly scrapped at Jacobsen Steel about April 2005. The floating unit had ''Port Kembla'' replaced by NY,NY on her stern and was reportedly sold to Haitians who must have rejected the sale because she ended up getting scrapped at Bay Bridge Ent. early in 2002.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
BULL ex-MANIE L PINER ex-DELAWARE ex-CARRIE T MESECK ex-INDUSTRY and seems to have been formally renamed SEA STAR, according to USCG data
IMO 5087948
built 1906 Burlee Dry Dock, Port Richmond

COMET ex-PETREL ex-E V McCAULLEY ex-W S WILLIAMS
built 1887 John H Dialogue & Son, Camden NJ

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
oh thanks for that guys, i have been looking for that info for 4 years i had originally had a thread on shipsnostalgia.com that has been there since 2013, i would try to find info about it but after a week id give in and left the thread running, and only yesterday i watched the movie again and thought of another fews search ideas, but would have never found out the info you supplied as i was looking for a sister vessel, if she had one that is.

that is old by the way.

Thanks again skull17 and david ships.

Tony.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk