ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardboard Models  (Read 3448 times)
fairlead
Just popping in

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:28 pm »

Has anyone made model ships from cardboard?.I am thinking of making a model of a ship i sailed on,and would appreciate any tips.
Report to moderator   Logged
Dеnis
Photo Administrator
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:02 am »

Well, long ago I was building ship models out of cardboard/paper & other stuff... Could you provide infos of your vessel for a start?

There was this thread about scratch built models, incl. ones from cardboard - http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,10219.0.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:18:03 am by Dеnis » Report to moderator   Logged
fairlead
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:24 pm »

Hi Denis,the ship I would like to make is the Canadian Pacific MV Beaverfir,I sailed on her in the 60s.With no plans to work from only photos it will be a lot of guess work I suppose.
Dеnis
Photo Administrator
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:45:55 am »

I did some searchging - there's only one photo of her here - http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1538143
& also these:
https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/postcards/ships-cargos/beaverfir-canadian-pacific-cargo-liner-c1950-s-postcard-351175165.html
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-54nG1Z0YAQM/VOo0GrRzCTI/AAAAAAAAR74/GPgnDHamzy0/s1600/Beaverfir.jpg
& almost a profile view - http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/Images/ImagesC/CANPAC05.jpg
I don't have much knowledge regarding 50s-60s ships - I'm more in to 90s-onwards ones & have GA plans of many coasters & medium sized cargo ships of this period.  So, any infos regarding your ship (dimensions, sisterships, etc) from other members would be much welcome!
Another question - if you want to have a model of that ship - how accurate you want it to look like? An exact copy or a "kids toy" that more or less resembles the original ship?   Have you ever modeled ships?
fairlead
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:02:16 pm »

Hello Denis,thanks for your reply,no I have never modeled a ship but have a good knowledge of ships having been a Shipwright for part of my working life.I don't want it to look like a toy,more like a builders model.I know it sounds ambitious, but I shall have a good go,it will take some time but I am retired so plenty of time.
Michael Wirth
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:24 pm »

Hello!

OK, here's what I would do:
- try to get a plan and/or paper mode of a ship as similar as possible (regarding type, size and year of construction)
- draw a plan of the hull and superstructure from pictures - calculating the proportions with the help of proportions from the plans mentioned above
- for details and fittings I would use the appropriate details from the plans/papermodels of similar ships (e.g. bollards, life boats, hatch covers)

You said that you sailed on this ship so I suppose you know the basic facts about it like measurements, type of hatch covers and so on.

A great book on details and fittings of cargo ships (but most examples are from ships built before 1950) is 'A ship modelmaker's manual' by John Bowen.

If I find a plan of a similar ship in my archives or catalogues that might be helpful to you then I will post it if you are interested.

Are you planning to build a waterline model? And which scale?

I am building RC scale models for many years, my scratchbuilt-project for the next year is MV Queen Of The North of BC Ferries which sank in 2006 (my last trip with her was only a few weeks before the sinking).

Best regards,

Michael.
fairlead
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:35 pm »

I have drawn the plans,eighth of an inch to the foot,I have an Ariel shot of her which is very useful for deck layout,so there should not be many problems. I am going to plate her as would a shipyard,what glue do you think would be best for this card model ?.
Michael Wirth
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:24 am »

OK, 1:96 Scale.

I model hull plating to a scale of 1:48 only. I had a few discussions with shipmodellers of museums in the past and they convinced me that in small scales a model looks more realistic if small details are only printed or painted on. I made the test and really had to agree.

For cardboard models I use mainly "UHU Alleskleber" (all purpose glue), CA for small parts and a mixture mainly made of wood-glue for the larger hull parts.

But most of the time I use cardboard models as a template for bigger models made of wood, brass, styrene, ..

Best regards,

Michael.
fairlead
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »

Its been back to the drawing board,I found that I hadn't made enough room for the engine room skylight,can't have those engineers sweltering down there,many thanks for the advice that has bee posted for me.
Pilot Frans
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »

on Instagram there is a Polish guy who makes lovely cardmodels.
See:
https://www.instagram.com/jsc_model/

Perhaps he can help you with some of your questions
regards
Frans

shipperadler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »

I'm fond of modeling ships! But I prefer to work with wood

Only in the sea I can feel myself free and pacified. Because here every part of sea is in the harmony: shine of waves, games of dolphins, glare of water
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: