Author Topic: Cardboard Models  (Read 20229 times)

Offline fairlead

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Cardboard Models
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:28 PM »
Has anyone made model ships from cardboard?.I am thinking of making a model of a ship i sailed on,and would appreciate any tips.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Cardboard Models
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
Well, long ago I was building ship models out of cardboard/paper & other stuff... Could you provide infos of your vessel for a start?

There was this thread about scratch built models, incl. ones from cardboard - http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,10219.0.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:18:03 AM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline fairlead

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
Hi Denis,the ship I would like to make is the Canadian Pacific MV Beaverfir,I sailed on her in the 60s.With no plans to work from only photos it will be a lot of guess work I suppose.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
I did some searchging - there's only one photo of her here - http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1538143
& also these:
https://www.delcampe.net/en_GB/collectables/postcards/ships-cargos/beaverfir-canadian-pacific-cargo-liner-c1950-s-postcard-351175165.html
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-54nG1Z0YAQM/VOo0GrRzCTI/AAAAAAAAR74/GPgnDHamzy0/s1600/Beaverfir.jpg
& almost a profile view - http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/Images/ImagesC/CANPAC05.jpg
I don't have much knowledge regarding 50s-60s ships - I'm more in to 90s-onwards ones & have GA plans of many coasters & medium sized cargo ships of this period.  So, any infos regarding your ship (dimensions, sisterships, etc) from other members would be much welcome!
Another question - if you want to have a model of that ship - how accurate you want it to look like? An exact copy or a "kids toy" that more or less resembles the original ship?   Have you ever modeled ships?
Regards,
Denis

Offline fairlead

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
Hello Denis,thanks for your reply,no I have never modeled a ship but have a good knowledge of ships having been a Shipwright for part of my working life.I don't want it to look like a toy,more like a builders model.I know it sounds ambitious, but I shall have a good go,it will take some time but I am retired so plenty of time.

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
Hello!

OK, here's what I would do:
- try to get a plan and/or paper mode of a ship as similar as possible (regarding type, size and year of construction)
- draw a plan of the hull and superstructure from pictures - calculating the proportions with the help of proportions from the plans mentioned above
- for details and fittings I would use the appropriate details from the plans/papermodels of similar ships (e.g. bollards, life boats, hatch covers)

You said that you sailed on this ship so I suppose you know the basic facts about it like measurements, type of hatch covers and so on.

A great book on details and fittings of cargo ships (but most examples are from ships built before 1950) is 'A ship modelmaker's manual' by John Bowen.

If I find a plan of a similar ship in my archives or catalogues that might be helpful to you then I will post it if you are interested.

Are you planning to build a waterline model? And which scale?

I am building RC scale models for many years, my scratchbuilt-project for the next year is MV Queen Of The North of BC Ferries which sank in 2006 (my last trip with her was only a few weeks before the sinking).

Best regards,

Michael.

Offline fairlead

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »
I have drawn the plans,eighth of an inch to the foot,I have an Ariel shot of her which is very useful for deck layout,so there should not be many problems. I am going to plate her as would a shipyard,what glue do you think would be best for this card model ?.

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
OK, 1:96 Scale.

I model hull plating to a scale of 1:48 only. I had a few discussions with shipmodellers of museums in the past and they convinced me that in small scales a model looks more realistic if small details are only printed or painted on. I made the test and really had to agree.

For cardboard models I use mainly "UHU Alleskleber" (all purpose glue), CA for small parts and a mixture mainly made of wood-glue for the larger hull parts.

But most of the time I use cardboard models as a template for bigger models made of wood, brass, styrene, ..

Best regards,

Michael.

Offline fairlead

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »
Its been back to the drawing board,I found that I hadn't made enough room for the engine room skylight,can't have those engineers sweltering down there,many thanks for the advice that has bee posted for me.

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
on Instagram there is a Polish guy who makes lovely cardmodels.
See:
https://www.instagram.com/jsc_model/

Perhaps he can help you with some of your questions
regards
Frans

Offline shipperadler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
I'm fond of modeling ships! But I prefer to work with wood
Only in the sea I can feel myself free and pacified. Because here every part of sea is in the harmony: shine of waves, games of dolphins, glare of water

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk