Author Topic: Shipspotting "not a secure site"?  (Read 8168 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Shipspotting "not a secure site"?
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »
This message keeps popping up as of yesterday when I try to log in? Anybody else has it? Same happens when I go to "equasis". What is the deal?
Many thanks...

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting "not a secure site"?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
no not me all okay this end  :)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
Hi csaba, which browser do you use? I'm using Firefox and get the same messages. Probably a Firefox-update to remind us that log-in to Shipspotting and Equasis is not encrypted. If you look at your address bar before logging in you see a crossed-out closed lock. If for example you have an account with Amazon you'll see a green closed lock in the left of your address bar, which means log-in is encrypted.

IT-experts please correct me if the explanation is wrong...

Cheers
Jens

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
since the last Firefox update a couple of days ago I'm getting the message when I log on to Equasis and Marine Traffic = so I ignore it as a glich

Allan

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Hi csaba, which browser do you use? I'm using Firefox and get the same messages. Probably a Firefox-update to remind us that log-in to Shipspotting and Equasis is not encrypted. If you look at your address bar before logging in you see a crossed-out closed lock. If for example you have an account with Amazon you'll see a green closed lock in the left of your address bar, which means log-in is encrypted.

IT-experts please correct me if the explanation is wrong...

Cheers
Jens
Hi Jens,
I use Firefox and what you have described is exactly what is happening. No updates from Firefox, thought.

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
I use Chrome and noticed the same caption several days ago. In the upper panel on my screen there is a circled "i" and site name. When I click on the circle  (when logged in or not) a drop down panel appears with statement....
"Your connection to this site is not secure. You should not enter any sensitive information on this site (for example, passwords or credit cards), because they could be stolen by attackers".
Not being a techy type, this makes me wonder when I do enter a password to log onto site just how vulnerable I may be to possible hackers.... ???

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:00:19 AM »
I meant to include the following in previous post....
Different situation with Marine Traffic site. Whether I open site just to browse or look at live map or when logged in, the panel in upper part of screen shows a green padlock with the word "secure".

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 05:58:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I will email Henrik and ask him about this. I will post back here when I receive an answer.

I

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »
Using Chrome...

Not Logged In - Address bar says Not Secure
Logged In - It disappears

Regards, Brian
Blistering barnacles...

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
I think it is a Firefox thing, happens with me here and also on Miramar. Just log in again and it works. The only thing annoying is that my computer does not remember my previous visit, so I always have to log on.

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
Hi all,

It's nothing new. It's just that a few browsers are starting to make warnings when we are not using https. We are in the process of moving over to this, as most other websites are, but due to the size and functionality we provide it's a big job to do. If we do it now, several things would probably stop working.

A reminder and security tip: make sure you are not using the same password for all services. Especially services that concerns money or your email accounts. Don't use those passwords on other websites, like this one.

Regards,
Henrik

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
Many thanks Henrik and Cody for prompt follow up. You've put my mind at ease...!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk