Author Topic: Photographing at Fort Lauderdale  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Robbie Shaw

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshaw.co.uk
Photographing at Fort Lauderdale
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:08:09 AM »
Hi,
Next month I shall be visiting Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Would appreciate any tips as to the best places to photograph from, particularly the cruiose liners.

Many thanks,

Robbie Shaw

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Photographing at Fort Lauderdale
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »
Hi Robbie
At the Hilton Lauderhale Hotel, Grande Dr close to SE 17th Street bridge

There are ferries, yellow colors, at a little dock, one of the ferries make
3-4 times a day a cruise all the way down South and back,,passing the passenger and container temrinals
also a USCG base and some smaller stuff.
Another ferry sails to the north and there are plenty expensive yards on hat track but no commerical activities

brgds
capt ted

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Ted Blank

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
If you are able to be there when the ships are departing (usually around 4:00 - 6:00pm), try to find a place to park near Point of the Americas condos - 2100 South Ocean Lane.  Walk through the path to the beach and turn right.  You'll see the ship channel just ahead, and can get quite nice pictures, although the sun can sometimes be a problem.  Be careful with parking on the street, there are a lot of no parking zones and it is easy to get an expensive parking ticket.  

The Balearia ferry to the Bahamas (Jaume I) departs most days at 8:00am and can also be seen from the Ocean Lane area.  Sun is not a problem in the morning.

Photo taken from the beach:  http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=388608

Otherwise, take the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi - see above, departs from near the Hilton Marina - and take either the Margaritaville Express or Hollywood route (www.watertaxi.com).  You'll pass close to the ships.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:44:43 PM by Ted Blank »

Clydee

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »
I have used the help from Ted Blank and Captain Ted to compile a Shipspotting Locations item.  The category is at the end of the category listing.

To add new locations go from the Support tab on the Home page >>> Category standards and Guidance >>> Shipspotting locations

Offline Bruno Boissonneault

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
If you are motorized the best thing to do besides the small ferries that cruise the harbour, is to drive to Dania Beach from Ft. Lauderdale. This will take you approx. 20 minutes depending on traffic. Find your way to the beach by either Dania Beach Blvd. or Sheridan, these two streets lead to bridges that cross the Intracoastal waterway. Once on the A1A road (Ocean Drive) head north until you reach the JOHN U.LLOYD BEACH STATE PARK. There is a 5$ park entrance fee as I recall for cars. Once there, drive to the very last parking, you may stop at a couple spots along the way and peek through the mangroves to see ships that are docked on the Intracoastal part of the port. Once at the parking you can walk to the breakwater and go quite far out to sea. This spot is good from morning to about 1600. The further out you go the more unobstructed view you will have, I was there both pre and post 9/11 and was never bothered despite spending hours standing waiting for ship movements. There is a beach right next to the breakwater where non-spotters can take in the sun. Fishermen are usually not taking all the space because pelicans do the most fishing around the breakwater.

Finally, cap or hat is a must as well as good sunscreen as there is absolutely , positively, no shade unless you withdraw from the breakwater.

Offline Robbie Shaw

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshaw.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
Many thanks indeed for your help.  Will save me time 'hunting' for good spots.  I am going to Florida primarily for aircraft photography, but thought that on this trip I( really must get some ships too.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Robbie Shaw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk