Author Topic: Amazing near-miss in the Strait of Istanbul  (Read 5090 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing near-miss in the Strait of Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »
Anyone know the ID?

Offline MSC Johnny 2

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
Lots of Zim box's on board but very poor viz...........I keep searching but cannot find the ID. Will carry on looking

Offline MSC Johnny 2

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
It doesn't get any closer than this ;-)
Video shows the M/V OOCL Novorossiysk nearly hit land during a transit of the Bosphorus Strait in Turkey during a snowstorm on Saturday, January 7, 2017.

Offline jack2

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
Just for case also in Messina Strait there was a problem with another containership, GUSTAV MAERSK 99002 grt - ran aground due to engine troubles and bad luck...!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
I am not 100% sure, but when transiting North bound through the Bosporus when at the same time
two-way traffic exist one comes extreme close to the land and it looks virtually that the vessel crashes into land but in reality just passes that close. This seems to be that exact spot. There existing pictures from
that corner (cant, remember the name of the turn) where a house is damaged where a ship did not manage the
turn and crashed. 
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Simon Olsen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »
Northbound vessels often pass very close to the Asian shore at Kandilli (opposite Rumeli Hisari, and the narrowest part of the straits). Southbound vessels passing Tarabya (where the channel is wider) tend not to come anywhere near that close as the boxboat did on this occasion - I'm not 100% sure of the angles but southbound traffic has to turn about 90 degrees to port while passing Sariyer, then about 90 degrees to starboard near Yenikoy (Tarabya being about equidistant between those two turns).
A couple of years back MAJED AND RANDY, transiting northbound, hit a house north of the second Bosphorus bridge - was that the incident Captain Ted?

regards
Simon

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
hi Simon
Could be, not sure though, that house was already hit a few times. I remember when I passed sometime in 2000
we were so close one hought it crashed any moment, but the pilot assured us,,all ok,,and it was. This angle and the size of the vessel possibly implies that it is much closer as it was in reality.
Would be not surprised when nothing really unusual happened beside that it looked really close
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk