Author Topic: Can members report old/missed sub standard photos?  (Read 3609 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Can members report old/missed sub standard photos?
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
As I look through the photos, clicking here and there, I occasionally find photos that clearly don't not meet the site standards, but have been here for a long time. I am not blaming the admins, they do what they can when they can. But just like the members can report errors, could we, and to whom, report a sub standard photo?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:07:06 PM by csaba »

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can members report old/missed sub standard photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
This idea is totally against what was agreed some time ago - it has always been the case that photographs posted before site standards were set would remain - there would be NO retrospective deletions.  Are you now suggesting this should change?

I for one would be against this move, not only because it would create more angst with members, but could also lead to some interesting photos being deleted

Allan

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
Have to say I agree with Allan  :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:41:34 AM »
Allan is correct in reflecting what has been stated to be current and recent policy and, generally-speaking that is what is being followed (with the exception of course of questions of copyright, and straight duplicates).  I do not know, however, when that was agreed - I asked Admin colleagues about this only last month but nobody seems to know, and I have found nothing in the Forums (though the lack of a functional forum search may mean that it is there somewhere) - perhaps it was all lost in an earlier site hiatus or server change.

What I do find, however, is the opposite - see http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=How%20to%20Upload%20Photos#88 - paragraphs 17 & 18 have been in place since 15/12/2010 - and all sections 15-19 remain exactly as they were in May 2012.  It is clear that this needs to be updated and clarified and the guidance altered if necessary.

It has been said that it would be unfair to older or past members if earlier photos to be reviewed according to current rules.  Others say that it it is unfair that members face deletion of their images when there are many poorer ones retained on site just because of longevity.  I think that both these positions are valid points of view and it will not be easy to find a consensus.  There has as yet been no new discussion of this in the Admin group, but in the meantime the views of members old and new would be welcome.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:46:50 AM by davidships »

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »
Are you now suggesting this should change?
It was not a suggestion, it was a question. I didn't know what was agreed before, that is why I asked instead outright suggested.
I did read the rules in the index, including paragraphs 17 and 18, but that was a while ago, there are lots of of things there...Thanks Davidship for providing the link and the reminder. Much appreciated and I agree with them.
Cheers...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk