Author Topic: A ship engine failed, no one could fix it.  (Read 3835 times)

Offline MSC Johnny 2

• Home away from home
    • View Profile

Offline Mrs. D

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: A ship engine failed, no one could fix it.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »
 :D Thanks for a great point made and a good laugh.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. ~Jimmy Dean~

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »
Yep,,those are the days !!!!
all has to be cheap, experience is not wanted until needed,,then complains coming for the bills.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:13:37 AM »
It is indeed funny but sadly everything in this article is fact. Recently had an incident where a technician was flown 8000 miles from the country of ownership to repair a gmdss setup (one component). He arrived but his baggage containing the item apparently required, was lost in transit and arrived two days later. The operator was up in arms due to lost charter hire, as vessel was under psc detention for other matters too.

In desperation the technician boarded the vessel at a remote anchorage, cleaned and overhauled the equipment thoroughly and it worked!!! (No spares fitted!).

The vessel was back on hire. It seems to me however that operators have all sorts of tax defying gadgets to hand to look after themselves and a book of excuses when it comes to payment for knowledgable services rendered...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
I know of a case a tech tried for 2-3 days to xplain per telefon and email a crew that ha a auto reduce situation on a main engine. Finally they diverted the ship to Mauritius, the Tech flew down,,came aboard,,flipped a switch and went flew home,,total time with filling papers in 45 min on he ship. !!!!
company lost 3 days and flew out of the charter 2 month later ,,and all happened after the W-EU CE was taken off and the W-EU elctrician too because of too expensive.,, Nothing new on such matters,, but initial only the lower numbers are seen never the long term effect until it makes boom and then it is wanted for free when possible.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk