Author Topic: Stolen photos on Instagram  (Read 76591 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen photos on Instagram
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
That is encouraging news, Vlad and Nico
I will note, for the record, that of the 17 members whom I contacted in March about this Instagram account only one ever replied - though others may of course have complained without letting us know.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
Good to hear Vlad! That Greek kid was stealing ALL your pics and passing them off as his own.

Cheers,
Ralph

Offline Nico.T

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »
15-year-old kid, this one. Seems to like Dennis Mortimer's photos

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
Last time, following the encouraging news from Lappino (see below), I listed 300 photos that I could find that he had lifted from ShipSpotting over 15 months from 1/1/2019 (there may well have been a couple of hundred earlier ones), and informed all 17 members.  Only one even bothered to reply.   But it may well be that it was complaints from those two members that led to the "ship_spotting_greece" account being closed.

There are only 159 photos on his new account "ship_spotting_greece_" (note the added "_")
Now is the time to nip him in the bud.  I will help if asked, but I am not going to spend a lot of time again indexing them for members who don't want to do anything.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2020, 08:26:14 PM »
David, I would never notice if one of my pictures was on Instagram. You could have mailed me about (but I don't think you did), but I would not be bothered to have a look at Instagram in the first place. I have dropped the use of social media completely.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
Indeed, most people wouldn't notice, which is why I spent time on it.  As I said, I emailed all those members whose photos I identified on that, now deleted, account. Of those all but one didn't bother to reply, even to say that they didn't care.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »
Indeed, most people wouldn't notice, which is why I spent time on it.  As I said, I emailed all those members whose photos I identified on that, now deleted, account. Of those all but one didn't bother to reply, even to say that they didn't care.

David, I would say members didn't care (although some won't). It's more a case of trying to push water up a hill in fighting copyright/'stolen images' with the social media giants. If this latest 15 year old has his account closed then he simply opens a new account a few minutes later unless Instagram block his ISP and even then he can simply move to a mobile devise. So until the big boys in the industry start taking this seriously then I fear all your hard work is simply wasted and I know you will have plenty of serious research to occupy your time with. I have been in a number of Facebook groups where I have raised the issue of copyright with both the group administrators, Facebook, and the individuals who have posted what I know to be a copyright image and frankly the responses have ranged from rudeness to indifference so I am afraid it is the very negative side to the world of modern technology/communications that we have to live with and perhaps any future efforts to track down the image stealers should to be left to the individual owners of the original and make that crystal clear. Just a thought.   

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »
Got to say I agree with Riverman. I post a lot of photographs on FB, not so many on here now, and I accept that there is a good chance that someone will steal them at some point. I post for my enjoyment, and that of others, and accept the risks that go with it. I don't think you'll ever stop it now, the genie is out of the bottle, in some ways it's flattering if someone thinks your photographs are worth stealing. It's got to be worth considering if trying to push back against this anymore is worthwhile. If I have a photograph that I really want to keep the copyright of, I wouldn't post it on the internet.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2020, 07:32:35 AM »
Perhaps we could introduce the software that is being used at "nok-schiffbilder".  There is no way that you can download any of their published pictures.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:21:05 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
Can't download, but can make a screenshot as easy as anything, so those who really want it, will find a way...

Offline solentships

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »
Perhaps we could introduce the software that is being used at "nok-schiffbilder".  There is no way that you can download any of their published pictures.

Wouldn't do any good I'm afraid. A quick look says all they are doing is including oncontextmenu="return false" to disable the right-click menu. You can circumvent this easily.

If they have other measures in place, which I doubt, they can be overcome if you put your mind to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk