Author Topic: Stolen photos on Instagram  (Read 76605 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen photos on Instagram
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2017, 02:01:44 AM »
I am still seeing all the photos at https://www.instagram.com/ship_spotter68/
It seems that the change was just a ploy to effectively remove all the adverse photo comments (or he has done that by some other means).  Where do we go from here, Owen?

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2017, 02:57:56 AM »
Seems there is no way of stopping this guy. He has now posted more photos from this site. eg Walters Canival legend and Arnes Hamburg.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:22 AM »
Hmm ... this guy doesn't like the comments I've been putting on all his stolen images and his name change may have been to shake me off.
But he has no shame. 
I tried someone else's phone and it would appear that he's blocked me so I can't see his stuff and he's deleted my comments that were annoying him.
I'm not sure who is irritating me the most, the image thief or Facebook that ignore me most of the time - it's a close race.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »
Hi Owen,

Its seems his shipspotter-68  ID is gone too I tried to find by using the normal link this morning.
Either Instagram have deleted it or he has changed name again. Will try and hunt him out again.

cheers
Derek

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
That's what I thought earlier today Derek but he's still there with his new name and followers.
He didn't like your comments and deleted them and barred you as well. 

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
Ok There seems not much we can do as Instagram and Facebook seem not to be bothered by image theft.
His accounts should be deleted along with all the photos. Whats his new ID? Will have to join Instagram I suppose again under another name if he has barred me

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
Whats his new ID Owen please? and how did you find it?

Offline Geir Vinnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
I can still see the photos here: https://www.instagram.com/ship_spotter68/

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
I just get a page not available although I have changed my name on Instagram guess I will have to change my email too

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
I fear that those who say that Instagram are unlikely to take any action beyond removing individual images following copyright claims by the originator are, in practice, right.  They are probably only concerned about any legal liability that they may have, and may well judge that individual photographer-members of Shipspotting are not going to sue them.  Morals do not seem to concern them.

In order to stay free from legal liability they, as a social platform which does not control what users post, have to establish their "safe harbor" under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the US. They are protected providing they:

a) do not have actual knowledge that there is infringing content on their servers, or know any surrounding facts that would make the infringing use apparent;
b) do not receive any financial benefit directly attributable to the infringing activity if you have the ability to control such activity; and
c) act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the infringing material upon obtaining knowledge or awareness that the material is infringing or upon receiving a properly drafted notice of infringement

It seems from members' experience that they do take down individual photos when informed by giving a "properly drafted notice of infringement"
I don't think that Instagram receive any financial benefit as Instagram doesn't carry ads alongside infringing images (though that may be different for Facebook)

However I am not sure that they are meeting the requirements of (a) and (c) when they have already removed some images, and been given evidence that there are many other infringing images and that the user is habitually adding new ones.  

I am prepared to at least give it a try on behalf of members to see whether Instagram's designated Copyright Agent will respond at all.  I think that to do that I need:

1) authorisation from, say, a couple of members to act on their behalf in relation to specific images (that should ensure that Instagram do not just ignore the whole message, and establish what form such authorisation must take),

2) some examples of Shipspotting images that have already been taken down following complaint (that establishes that there is already a pattern of successful complaints about "ship_spotter68/").  

3) a sizeable schedule of other images stolen from us - Owen, could you please email me ([email protected]) what you already have and I will expand it to (or by) a couple of hundred.

Any thoughts on this suggestion are welcome, as well as the specific help requested above.

David

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2017, 04:19:04 AM »
Just to update, I wrote to Instagram on 22/2, enclosing the details of about 460 images stolen by "ship_spotter68", identified from the most recent 1000 or so of his uploads. Received the expected machine response from "Billy", to which I replied, so hopefully it will now get nearer to a real person.  I'll chase if the don't respond in a week.

I am aware that he continues to add stolen ShipSpotting images almost daily, so the schedule is being kept up-to-date.  I can email the current schedule on email request to [email protected]

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2017, 06:34:08 AM »
His page is no longer available.
https://www.instagram.com/ship_spotter68/
Thanks for your effort David.

Rgds
Hannes.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:24 AM »
if the page is no longer available why do I see shipphotos when I click on that link?

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
Unfortunately I think he may have blocked you, Hannes.

Cody

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
if the page is no longer available why do I see shipphotos when I click on that link?
But Hannes .. you'll be pleased to know that our Instagram friend appreciated your Photo of Innovation very much.

If you've ever added a comment about him stealing images, he blocks you and deletes the comment.
I've added the pic to the list of all the stolen images I've spotted recently and will send in another report soon.
I haven't had much luck and have sent this list in several times so far.
It just grows a little more each time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk