Author Topic: Stolen photos on Instagram  (Read 76587 times)

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
Stolen photos on Instagram
« on: December 24, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
I've just found out that a lot of my pix have been posted on Instagram by someone with no scruples regarding copyright.
I also see a lot of other pix I recognise from other photographers here.

Here's the account:  https://www.instagram.com/nader_zahra/

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
Re: Stolen photos on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline Knut Lorentzen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
that account is well known for posting pictures from others, just report it and maybe
they can set a stopper for this at instagram.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
Owen -

the only way to protect your images is not to put them on Shipspotting - which rather defeats the object of posting to share with fellow enthusiasts.  There will always be image thieve; they have no scruples regarding image rights and copyright, and once a pic is on the net it is open for anyone to take and use in whatever way they choose. With most I would guess there is no financial benefit sought, but I have no doubt there are some who try to make an income from stolen images which is the most galling aspect of image theft.  At least on Instagram, they never get the full image because of the format.

Allan

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
I have tried reporting this to Instagram but without success

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 06:57:50 PM »
 Copyright Agent, c/o Instagram
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025

E-mail: [email protected]

Telefoon: (650) 384-2250

Fax: (650) 384-2253

Unfortunately the individual whose copyright has been breached should complain.  Derek, one of your shots now features prominently in the site of this guy, so if you send an email or make a phonecall you can link directly to your shot.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »
Thanks Pieter,

Have just emailed them and await response on behalf of all our members who have had photos used without permission

best regards

Derek

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
I've also filed a report and they asked for additional information so I've now given them a list of the first 20 of mine and matching URLs for the originals and another list of the first 20 I saw that were stolen from other photographers.
I ended it with this ....
As there are thousands of stolen images in his Instagram account, I cannot find each and every one for you but I trust that I have provided enough evidence to show that nader_zahra is a serial copyright violator and thief and that little if any material he posts is legitimate.
Please take the appropriate action.

Clydee

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Thank you Owen.  Well done!

You and Derek have provided a test for Instagram policy and procedures.  They should be able to sense that.

Clyde

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »

Have just emailed them and await response on behalf of all our members who have had photos used without permission

best regards

Derek
[/quote]

I've also emailed them in the past (Instagram), but they do not respond even.I have posted some comments on nader_zahra his account on Instagram.I guess he does not like it.

Rgds
Hannes.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
I have found a Facebook-Account from a user Nader Zahra with all that stolen ship photos, he lives in Tartous/Syria.
https://www.facebook.com/nader.zahra.5?lst=100013527875745%3A100005226192186%3A1482662492

Rgds. Juergen

Offline Stan Laundon

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
As person who does websites, and photography, believe me I know what it's like to have photographs stolen. Despite placing a watermark on all my images, they will still get taken.

However, you might like to see this from DACS:

https://www.dacs.org.uk/knowledge-base/factsheets/understanding-social-media-terms-and-conditions
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 12:51:18 AM »
I have had a (very) small result with Instagram.
Here is what they have come back with:
    "The Instagram Team" <[email protected]>
Hi,

We have removed or disabled access to the third-party or user-generated content you have reported to us. We take intellectual property rights seriously, and will take appropriate action against the accounts of repeat infringers.

If you have any further questions, please visit the Intellectual Property section of our Help Center:

http://help.instagram.com/535503073130320/
Thanks,
Marvin
Intellectual Property Operations
Instagram

The 20 images of mine that I alerted them to and the first 20 from other Shipspotting posters have been removed.
The offender has continued to post stolen images (many from here and some going back 3 years) and I've commented on his recent posts.
But I'm not happy with Instagram when they say they will take appropriate action against the accounts of repeat infringers.
I thought I gave them sufficient evidence to show that most or all of his material is stolen so I'm going to keep nagging them to attempt to get them to take appropriate action against the accounts of repeat infringers.

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 02:11:20 AM »
Owen, Thank you for your effort in removing the photos from Instagram. He clearly does not get the message however, Tropic Maritime recent image of Nepean has appeared on his site. Hopefully Instagram will take action. Cheers Tony 

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 02:15:33 AM »
I've just sent Instagram Intellectual Property Operations another list of 30 more images from the offending site and links to the original images and I'm asking them how much evidence they need to actually do anything about this image thief.
The shot of Nepean was one of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk