Author Topic: Maersk Shipper & Maersk Searcher sink off Brittany  (Read 13747 times)

Offline Yvon Perchoc

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Maersk Shipper & Maersk Searcher sink off Brittany
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »
Hi,
According to French authorities declarations, MAERSK SHIPPER and MAERSK SEARCHER sank off Brittany (60 M WSW off Ushant Island), on  December 22nd 2016, during a voyage from Denmark towards the demolition yard of Aliaga (Turkey). They were towed by MAERSK BATTLER.
See post of Patalavaca in 'Ships sold for scrap reply #257 : http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,12945.msg81958.html#msg81958 ).

First, the MAERSK SEARCHER sank, after developping a leak, leading to the capsizing of MAERSK SHIPPER which was along side. MAERSK SHIPPER sank some hours later.

Text (sorry in French) :
Le 22 d
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:40:50 PM by Yvon Perchoc »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Maersk Shipper & Maersk Searcher sink off Brittany
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »
Maersk have apparently issued a statement saying that it was the MAERSK SHIPPER and MAERSK SUPPLIER that sunk.

I'm investigating this as the MAERSK SUPPLIER is supposed to be at a recycling yard in China at the moment!

Brgds
Phil

Offline brunoh

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05:32 AM »
Ooops, guess I should have checked the forum before posting comments on the pictures of these vessels  :-[ I am editing.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:10 AM »
Hi Phil ... french translated to english ...The Maersk Battler confirms the towing of two hulls, empty and decontaminated, of ships type supply. The convoy is on its way to Turkey to be deconstructed. While the two hulls are towed to each other, the former Maersk Searcher sank by 140 m of bottom following a waterway (estimated position: 48

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Subsequent para translation confirming second sinking .."At 6:33 am Maersk Batler reported the sinking of the former Maersk Shipper by 155 meters (estimated position: 48
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:43:05 AM by ChasB46 »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
Maersk have apparently issued a statement saying that it was the MAERSK SHIPPER and MAERSK SUPPLIER that sunk.
Seems to have appeared only in Tradewinds.
Probably just a careless copy and paste from their earlier story on 14/12:
"The Danish owner has confirmed the sale of the 18,273-bhp Maersk Supplier and Maersk Shipper (both built 1999)."

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
I think you're right, David. I've found a Danish newspaper article which broke the story to the shipping press and it confirms MAERSK SHIPPER and MAERSK SEARCHER. I've sent an email to Tradewinds questioning their story, but I've not heard from them yet.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Very strang that they both went down, almost in the same time.

A double tow have in my mind two towing cables and each towing cable have a diffent lenght.
So vessels can't touch each other.
Only when they arrive in port the tows will be put next to each other for beter manoeuvrablities.

regards
Frans

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
Finally a video of the tow and sinking has been leaked. Watch it here: https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samfund/dramatisk-video-laekket-her-synker-maersk-skibe/7783489

I can't believe how stupid they were when deciding to tow the vessels side by side.

The official Danish casualty report says they did so because none of the two vessels had a winch certified to tow the other vessel.

So to save money by not having one vessel's winch upgraded/certified someone behind a desk (with no experience from the sea) decided to tow side by side, which was obviously extremely unwise. And noone stopped it ...

Offline Leon de Hoop

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
The report said that originally the Maersk Chancellor was chosen to tow these two vessels to the scrap yard but because she got a contract this was changed.
Maersk chancellor was equipped with a towing winch was suitable for a double tow, Maersk Battler was not equipped with this.
The option was chosen to tow these two vessels alongside each other was simple, it was the cheapest way.
They had 3 options, tow alongside (unmanned), spool a second tow wire on the Maersk Battler to make her suitable for a double tow (expensive because a new wire for only 1 trip is expensive} or MB tows the second vessel and the second vessel connects het main wire on the third vessel but this would mean that they have to put a crew on the second vessel to pay out or pay in the wire when necessary (also expensive because they have to start up a vessel that was in lay up and heva to put a crew on her), Maersk Searcher was layed since 04-01-2016 and Maersk Shipper was layed up since 18-10-2015, I don;t know if they were manned or cold layed up.

There's oly one question that bothers me, why on earth did Maersk not hire a marine waranty surveyor (MWS) to make the final approval and deliver the tow certificate.
Were they to arrogant to hire one (we are Maersk and we know how to do it) or was it to expensive.
For sure is that a MWS would never ever approve this configuration off towing.
According to the report they bought second hand yokohama fenders for this trip, ones that were already weared and too small, new and bigger ones were too expensive.

According to me Maersk sorted out the most cheapest option to make this tow.
Also they lied about the remaining fuel/lub and hydraulic oil on board.

I personally have 25 years experience at sea and did many double tows so i know what I am talking about.

Cheers

Leon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:21:44 PM by Leon de Hoop »

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59:27 AM »
The casualty report basically said that someone behind a desk thought the side by side (sbs) towing would work, and then a surveyor issued a "ready for tow" certificate. Problem: The certificate only said the vessels were - each of them - ready for tow. It did not verify the sbs towing method. The guy behind the desk thought so, and gave the go ahead. They expected the vessel might bump into each other a little, so put two tire fenders on the bridge wings(!).

As damage developed en route the crew on the Maersk Battler (the one towing) thought it was just above water / to the superstructures, and went on. Then the vessels sank.

What a crazy series of stupid mistakes!

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Regards,
Denis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk