Author Topic: Copyright marking of all photos  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Copyright marking of all photos
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »

Stan,

Like me you are an original member of the Site, we both joined around the same time so can I test your memory, am I right in thinking that at some point in the past, possibly on the Old Site, our photographs had a Copyright attached at the base of the Image.

I am not entirely sure about this but if I am right re-introducing it could be helpful.
Regards
Ken 

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:09:45 AM »
That's interesting.  I don't recall this being mentioned in any of the discussions on theft/copyright over the last few years - though I haven't rechecked thoroughly.

Were they earlier photos than those still on the site - or were these markings all removed at some point?  Was it automatically added in the name of the uploader member?

Jens's comments suggest that complaints to sites like Instagram, who don't care a damn as long as the income keeps coming, are difficult.  However their FAQ is at https://help.instagram.com/126382350847838.  To me it looks bombproof.  I would have thought that a claim of copyright infringement would have to be in the real name of the claimant anyway - presumably a disposable email address can be used.  Anyone actually tried to take such action with Instagram?

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Ken, You are right indeed.
There was a period of time that every photo automaticly had a black banner at the bottom, with a white text about Copyright infringement & the photographers name.

I quess it was in the early days of Shipspotting.com.

rgds Stan

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »

Many thanks Stan for confirming that we had a copyright attached which was exactly as you described it to our photographs at some point in the past, I am also pleased that my memory hasn't let me down.

It would have been on the old Server and I believe this information is still available so if there is willingness then maybe it could be restored, as they say every little helps.

Kind Regards
Ken   

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Ken wrote
It would have been on the old Server and I believe this information is still available so if there is willingness then maybe it could be restored, as they say every little helps.

Thank you Ken and Stan.
I have asked Henrik for his advice on this and particularly whether, if there were to be general agreement that this would be helpful, it would be technically feasible.  No doubt the same information is available, since every image is currently associated with a member (past or present).  There would be some aspects to be considered carefully - for example, the sizeable number 9though small proportion) of images legitimately added where the uploader is not the copyright holder.

Do you recall whether there was any comment or discussion when it was dropped previously?

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright marking of all photos
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »

I do not recall any discussions or problems at the time, it was accepted as being the Norm. and the fact that our photographs were covered by Copyright which was visible for all to see, the Copyright was in the name of Shipspotting.com and did not impinge upon the photo.

My guess is that it was lost during the migrations of the Websites, at that time we had a guy called TaHa as the Technical man so it is possible that Henrik will be not be aware of this issue but you can have a word with Clyde, he was heavily involved during the Migration period, I was only the humble Deputy Webmaster but as I have said it might still be somewhere and be retrievable, if not then maybe it could be re-introduced.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 09:43:16 PM »
Hi everyone ,

Even having a copyright banner at the bottom someone can just crop the photo to remove the copyright banner, likewise with watermarks the advent of Photoshop etc they can be removed and you cant even tell it was there.

Cheers,Paul    

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »
Two potential issues about the copyright banner:

- If one is added to the photograph, is the JPEG file re-compressed? Even at maximum quality settings, this may result in unwanted loss of quality.
- Would it be possible to opt out from the copyright banner (e.g. checkbox while uploading) if the photographs are covered by e.g. a CC license?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk