Author Topic: Taking of Photographs in public areas at Goole.  (Read 17711 times)

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
Re: Taking of Photographs in public areas at Goole.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
Colwyn - I believe the South Gare is private property - the very end that is fenced off belongs to the port authority, the police are probably keeping an eye on that. When I first went to the Gare you could access all areas, I sued to get tucked in the upper level by the lighthouse, was a great spot!  :)

I've also been told that because the Gare is private, the whole road is closed for 1 day a year to keep it's private status. Fortunately I've never encountered that, would be really miffed after the journey from Hull to find out it was closed.  ;D

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »
Colwyn,

In answer to your question, yes Tees and Hartlepool have an accredited Police Force, the link below will give you details as to what the Constables do. This is one of a small number of Port Police forces in the UK, most have contracted out to private security companies.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

http://www.pdports.co.uk/Documents/Careers/advert%20-%20Harbour%20Police%202012.pdf?epslanguage=en

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
Whilst it is unclear if the fences in Goole are going to be spotter proof or not, I wouldn't be surprised if they were. ABP are one of the most negative organisations I've come across, and would rather spend large sums of money, time, and effort to prevent something happening, than to get a better return by being positive. This is a corporate philosophy that has gone on for years. When I worked for a major importer operating our own terminal in one of the Humber Ports, the first response to anything we proposed was No, even if it had mutual benefits. It's all about control to them, if we suggested something it was no, if they did, we had to jump...an we were the customer!!!!!! They recently spend millions on futile legal challenges to a facility the Able Uk wanted to build at Killingholme, when anyone with half a brain cell to see they were bound to fail, simply because they wanted to be able to control what Able did. If they had worked with Able, a win - win situation would have been there for both parties, but it would have meant loss of control.

A ABP staff member used to post photographs of shipping at Goole which he took during the course of his work on a Facebook forum, but has ceased doing this after he was told to stop and threatened with the sack if he did it again.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »
Thanks for your comments Simon, I worked on Goole Docks ( some of those for ABP ) for 38 years and was able to take photos almost any where. When I first started on the Docks some of the areas had no fences or gates and almost anyone could access the quaysides all around Goole. In those days there was no threat of terrorists. But having said that we had a Dock Police presence, mainly to deter smoking in the Dock areas. I was never told by my employers not to take photos as there was no social media then ! In fact when I worked for PAL Line I was often asked to take photos to send off to Sweden. This was in the days before digital cameras, PCs and memory cards etc !  I take note of your comments on ABP too !!

Cheers and best wishes,

Bry.

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »
Interesting thread and also related to incidents at ABP Kings Lynn a few months back.  To me its totally way over the top with the alleged fencing being erected at Goole to deter spotters/photographers.

What next some sort of special screen to be fitted to pleasure boat windows blocking out ships in port ?  or maybe a camera jammer that disables all cameras within a 10 mile zone.

Ports and harbours SHOULD be embracing the spotters/enthusiasts as the unpaid security of the port, if they see any suspicious activity then its likely to have been photographed with the images being made readily available to security/police etc.  Lets face it a spotter will know if something is not quite right even more so than joe public and I dare say even more than these pumped up security plebs who seem to don a hi viz and think they are mad max !!

I also held photo permits for all the Humber ports which like may were revoked In the wake of 9/11, I applied again post July 2004 but despite several letters back and forth they were not prepared to budge even when I pointed out that photographers/spotters would work with them and that it would simply end up with more unknown people simply taking photos through fences and lurking around perimeters but they threw the H&S card into the mix.

So in closing you are most likely to get aggro from sleepy Goole photographing small coasters but however Mr Terrorist can quite easily rock up at Immingham/Stallingboro and get access onto the foreshore where tankers can be seen a couple of hundred metres away, sling out a fishing rod and that will guarantee that you have no aggro whatsoever !!!!!

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »
Many years ago, two of my friends (sadly no longer with us) were on King George dock in Hull, with full permits and required PPE. The same morning a docker had sadly been killed, and in their travels around the dock they were stopped and enquired on what they were doing. They politely advised and showed relevant passes - to be told by the person, who was head of H&S that if he had his way the permits would be removed from everyone. At the end of 2003 all permits were not renewed, SPSS and H&S cited. We, like Darren, also tried the extra eyes potential to no avail - what was even stranger was for the last few years of permits we had had to produce proof of identity to gain the permits, so we were easily traceable and quite conspicuous with all the PPE required.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk