Author Topic: Taking of Photographs in public areas at Goole.  (Read 17710 times)

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Taking of Photographs in public areas at Goole.
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
Hello All. Yesterday evening I was down at Bridge Street, Goole ( my home town ) I was waiting for the sun to set whilst stood on South Dock Bridge, a nice photo can be had there at this time of the year of the sun setting behind the preserved No 5 Coal Hoist. At the opposite side of the dock was mv CRISTINA. imo 9489546 catching the evening sunlight. I was taking shots of her while the sun was going down when a Dock Security man asked me what I was taking photos of ! I told him that they were of the sunset and the ship and asked him why he was asking ! He answered that he had to ask me these questions as his bosses and those above them did not want people taking any photos of the docks !! I politely told him that I was on a public footpath and road too, so I was not breaking any rules ! He then mentioned that it was to do with terrorism so photos of the Dock area are banned. I told him that the main street ran right through the Dock area, this includes three swing bridges and a by-pass, so it has access to all. He then said that screens will be put up in these areas ! Have any other members been approached about this ? Personally I think that ABP are going a bit too far !!

Offline Jon Godsell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Taking of Photographs in public areas at Goole.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
Brian,

You took the correct cause of action, as you were on a public path/roadway, he had no right to ask you these questions anyway and you should have told him so. Carry on taking your pictures and if he or someone else asks you the same question just ignore them and if they persist ask them what their going to do about it. Just don't be intimidated by these jobs worth's and as to erecting a screen, well I'll believe it when I see it; if they do though invest in a long monopod, a pair of stepladders or even a drone ;D

Remember as well, that they have no powers to ask you to delete a picture and that it is a criminal offence for them to do so; this applies to the police as well, only a court has those powers, at least in the UK.

Jon.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
Thank you for your reply Jon. I carried on taking photos and did not let him bother me. As you say a jobsworth with some even worse ones with stripes above him no doubt ! As for the terrorism maybe they should contact Google Earth as well eh !!

Best Wishes,

Bry.

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Hello All

I think we have got the USA to blame for all this stupidity, and if i was a terroist i think i might be looking at Immingham/Killingholme instead of Goole

Best Wishes
Adrian
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:51:56 PM by Adrian Ford »
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »
US paranoia indeed, Adrian. I caused a bit of a row the last ime I mentioned this subject on this site so I will merely quote the IMO on the ISPS Code
"What is the ISPS Code?
The International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code) is a comprehensive set of measures to enhance the security of ships and port facilities, developed in response to the perceived threats to ships and port facilities in the wake of the 9/11 attacks in the United States"

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
Thank you for your replies Adrian and Bob. I know that the container handling parts of the Docks have more security around them, I can relate to that. I think that Dock Security have nothing at all to do with Public Roads, Pavements & Pathways.

Cheers & Best Wishes,

Bry

Offline b47b56

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »
Hello everybody!

I think there are a lot of sources via Internet where is possible to collect all kind of information - wikimapia, google, facebook and so on. Anyway had same situation in different countries and I think if You are situated at open streets, squares, bridges, etc, there are no reason to stop You to make photos of the ships or something else, same as You are making selfie on the bridge.
Bob told right - paranoia. Lets switch off Internet and Cell Phones with Cameras, drop new iPhones to the waste -
or lets do better - continue enjoying shipspotting and forget about this reasonless made security stupidity.

Regards.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
Brian,

Attached is a link to the ACPO (Police) guidance on taking of photographs and what Police Officers can and cannot legally do. I know you were dealing with Private Security but you were in a public place. Your attitude was correct, always be polite despite what he or she may be saying to you. My advice is to carry a copy of the police guidance or similar (a quick search of the internet should help) and if you ever feel threatened in anyway just smile and walk away, and if sufficiently annoyed/worried contact the police and report you were threatened.

You could also contact ABP (see link below) and get their position, I couldn't find anything on their website about taking photographs.

Good luck and keep taking the photographs!

http://www.abports.co.uk/Contact_Us/Media_Enquiries/

http://www.theiac.org.uk/resourcesnew/filming-in-public/ACPO_Guidance_PhotographsPublicPlaces.pdf

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:07:34 AM »
Hello Evgeniy, many thanks for your reply. I will look into some of this !

Best Wishes,

Bry.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
Hello Riverman2903, thanks for the links will have a look at these. I know in certain cities you need permission to photograph certain buildings etc. The Port of Goole has a few places where you can take photos of Ships without trespassing on the Dock Estate. I will carry on taking photos and maybe contact ABP for their views on the security company policy of approaching people in public areas !

Cheers & Best Wishes,

Bry.

Offline Eddie Walker

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
Hi Bry,
That's a worrying development. I did wonder if the fences erected on the wall of West Dock were going to be 'spotter-proof', but happily not. It's difficult to see how they could screen the walkways across the road bridges themselves. I would definitely be inclined to ask ABP for an explanation; I've no objection to being politely asked my motives, but to be told something is unlawful when it clearly isn't is not acceptable.

Offline vectiscol

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
This incident is nothing new.  A few years ago I was accosted by an ABP security guard for taking photographs looking through the fence FROM the access road along the quay at a steam-hauled special train leaving Lowestoft station!

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
Hello Eddie, when he said they were thinking about erecting screens I just laughed and said when are the signs on Bridge Street going to be changed to - No looking Right or Left.

Best Wishes,

Bry.

Offline Brian Brady

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Hello Vertiscol, I think that they have a blooming cheek asking that when like me you were on a public highway !!

Best Wishes,

Bry.

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
I've been snapping ships at Goole for over thirty years, I used to have a Dock Pass which stipulated 'non-commercial photography purposes', which was OK by me. When I went to renew it I was informed I had to have full PPE? gear (Personal Protection Equipment?) Hard hat, Hi Vis Boots etc and thought stuff it I'll pursue my hobby from the highway or the public footpath.This was in the late 70's before the world went H & S mad.
The only time my activities were ever questioned by anyone was in Feb this year, 2016, on Bridge St,when a security guy puled up in his van and asked what I was doing. I told him I was just a sad shipspotter and had been for years, I showed him my notebook of ships spotted, and he was as nice as pie, he told me that his gaffers had told him to challenge people engaging in this activity and that was that. No probs.
I also spend a fair amount of time at Sth Gare at Middlesbrough and regularly see vehicles marked 'Docks Police' with unformed Officers in them, I do not know if they are accredited Constables or not, but they just drive slowly past,they never stop and ask. Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to the situation there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk