Author Topic: Crappy Stuff on Shipspotting dot Com  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Crappy Stuff on Shipspotting dot Com
« on: September 22, 2016, 05:02:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

it is a while, since I was contributing to this site. I was doing so, for some years and with a great pleasure. The even bigger pleasure was the community here, I met some fellow members and it was generally a very good atmosphere on this site.

It was also worth to look up ships data and keep track of ships ports as well.

There were shipspotters who just did it for the sake of fun, often a few from the same port. Of course it happened then, that 5 people posted same photos of the same day, the same port. But nobody did really miind, as everyone has a unique way to take photos. The community feeling was the most important thing.

Then, the ships data disappeared, I therefore did not step by here so often anymore.

Then, there was always an arguement about "why so many photos of the same ship" and "post quality not quantity".

I really got tired of that, because shipspotting is actually just going to your port, and take photos of ships, even with fellow shipspotters and share them there. Of course not the ship that comes here day by day, but after all, the landscape lets say along river Elbe is not so exciting and not always so special ships coming. But, still nice to post them and share them.

Also, take in count, some people travel a far way to see ships (like me in the past).

I do not like this discussion, I would like to see the whole attitude here going back to where we started - an easy going bunch of people, enjoying their photos, and enjoying other shipsspotters community and make contact in real life even.

Then, I noticed that some culprits are linking their photos externe somewhere, so just to gain hits and hits to get to the top three. And, we do not talk about special ships here, not the newbuilds or the scrapped ships from Denmark! We talk about rather bad quality photos of not any special good situation. Just link them for the sake of linking, not because they are special.

Whoever these people are, it would be good if they get a warning by the webmasters, to behave in a social way and stop such doing. After all, we are not community and not "like that".

I noticed as well, that the owners of the site do not give a sh... about above mentioned stuff, and the webmasters seemed also not to be listened to. I do not like that!!!!

Instead, there are stupid adverts, which have neither to do with shipping nor with travelling and worst of all:

During post few days I get some very iffy pop-ups in Russian language and some real trash pages open! I do not want that!

I will attach a picture of that trash, and I do not want to be bombarded with that. To be honest, such things are for me a real reason to stop uploading photos here and rather share my photos on facebook with people who are really interested in that.

I really hope, there will be a change, as I would like to return here, after a clean-up.

Of course it could be I am totally wrong ... :p :p :p After all, I have been away for a while. But I would like to hear your thoughts about this topic. For the meanwhile and under current situation I will not upload any more photos to my collection here.

with regards,

Cornelia

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Crappy Stuff on Shipspotting dot Com
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
Hi Cornelia,
by not continuing to post those wonderful photos of yours you are surrendering to these hijackers who are destroying the integrity of true shipspotters.You are one of the few female representatives on this site and it is a shame to lose a worthwhile member.
At the same time I implore the Administration to warn these pseudo shipspotters to refrain using shared photos, everyone knows who these persons are. So please Administration pay heed to genuine shipspotters who are sorry that the site is sinking to this attack, and take appropriate action to terminate this unfortunate situation.
Come on Cornelia, show them that you are made of better stuff than these hijackers, and keep on posting.
Looking forward to viewing your future photos.
regards
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
Hi Cornelia

I too also enjoyed your photos and you contributed many worthwhile images.

The sad thing is that when someone decides to stop contributing in protest about some issue, it is ultimately the members who loose out.

Regards

Tony d

Offline Stephen Chester

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
Hi Cornelia
I have posted in the forum about the Russian language that is popping up when I login to the site.I have been told it is coming from Tizermedia.com. The webmasters have been informed, but I don't know if there's a lot they can do.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:50:07 PM »
Re Russian Pop-ups,

Henrik, IT, mentioned it indirectly in his message I forwarded at http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,15303.0.html

He probably need another 48 hours to complete his current project.  After that, and having cleared your cache, if it still recurs, please advise us on the Forum or direct to [email protected]

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
Well Cornelia

I am more or less on your page.
I also reduced my uploadings, sitting however on about 5000 pictures,,and just don,t have the "zeal" anymore to do it here. I know , my pictures are sometimes may be not the top 3,, but when I see all that crap what is nowadays shown in top 3,, then may be it is time to ask for changes.
And yes,,to cut off the linking would be the easiest way of doing so, or at least do not make hits on an outside web as counting on this site.
Well anyhow, something has to change,,otherwise one may really have to start looking for a different way of presenting ones own pictures somewhere and somehow else.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
I still have a problem with this on my Android device, at least once a day.

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
I have not had any problems when using my iPad recently, perhaps the last week or so. Not sure if this was due to work done on this sight, thanks for your efforts if it was, or if it was due to an update on the iPad. It had got so bad as to make the site unusable for me. Whatever the situation I thought it may be worth a mention and hopefully not tempting fate. Anybody still having problems?

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »
Sad to say, the problem is very much alive and kicking on my android phone, based in Denmark.
Uwe

Offline Marc Pingoud

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »
Thank you Cornelia for your statement - I support your point of view to 100% - Regards Marc
One hand for myself, one for the ship - and one for my camera!

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 02:38:07 AM »
The problem's still there on my android phone.

Clydee

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 05:45:07 AM »
Now occasionally a problem, but not for several days, on my iPhone 6

Clyde

Sydney Sunday 29 October 2016 4.43 pm

Lule

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »
Likewise for me on iPhone 5, occasionally when I select home.

Tony.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk