Author Topic: Error in Ship indentification  (Read 11597 times)

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
Error in Ship indentification
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »
Hi
Just a heads up that the description and technical information about Pacific Treasures is in conflict with the actual ship; as is obvious on this site:  http://www.shipspotting.com/ships/ship.php?imo=9732242

Pacific Treasures is obviously a tanker but the description placed by admin applies to a bulk cargo ship.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Error in Ship indentification
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »
Again, this is due to the demise of Gross Tonnage, not an admin input. Grosst Tonnage may have had the ship as being or order as a bulkcarrier, where the owner later decided to have it replaced by a tanker, which obviously currently operate under better market conditions.

I do wish that admins had he the option to change things in the description of the ship, but that is technically impossible.

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:13:04 AM »
Huh???
Your Gross Tonnage observation seems way out of line with the error in description of Pacific Treasures.

The definition of gross tonnage provided by a GOOGLE search is the following:  "...Gross tonnage (often abbreviated as GT, G.T. or gt) is a nonlinear measure of a ship's overall internal volume. Gross tonnage is different from gross register tonnage. Neither gross tonnage nor gross register tonnage should be confused with measures of mass or weight such as deadweight tonnage or displacement..."

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

How does your gross tonnage remark relate to the mis-identification of Pacific Treasures?

Offline Tsarik Ruslan - Ship-Photo-Roster.com

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:48:18 AM »
Dear, Oldkayaker!

Just my opinion:

Gross Tonnage is the name of web site, which was used by Shipspotting as a source of ship's data. As far as Gross Tonnage had downed, there are many discrepancies in ships' data on Shipspotting. 
As was mentioned above: the vessel was initially announced as bulker, and later on changed for tanker, probably due to market conjuncture. Bulkers and tanker are quite similar ships in initial stage of construction. Ship's data was linked from Gross Tonnage as bulker, and froze in this condition. While real data was ammended, as the vessel bocome tanker.

BRGDS
Ruslan

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »
Huh???
Your Gross Tonnage observation seems way out of line with the error in description of Pacific Treasures.

The definition of gross tonnage provided by a GOOGLE search is the following:  "...Gross tonnage (often abbreviated as GT, G.T. or gt) is a nonlinear measure of a ship's overall internal volume. Gross tonnage is different from gross register tonnage. Neither gross tonnage nor gross register tonnage should be confused with measures of mass or weight such as deadweight tonnage or displacement..."

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

How does your gross tonnage remark relate to the mis-identification of Pacific Treasures?
Oldkyaker as its been said before the ADMIN are NOT responsible for the info.     

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
Sooo.... incorrect data stays on because the source; Gross Tonnage, has incorrect information?

That's the explanation for keeping incorrect technical and vessel information?

Here is Pacific Treasures properly described on Marine Traffic:
  http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/shipid:3948590/#forward

Marine Traffic properly describes Pacific Treasures; why not Shipspotting???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:16:07 PM by Oldkayaker »

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
Oldkayaker: Most people who have been using this site as long as you have are well aware of the problems that have been caused by the demise of grosstonnage and know that it is pointless whingeing about it. The problem will not go away until the site owner and his teccie make substantial alterations to the site or remove all the old gt info. At the moment they don't seem to have any inclination to do either. In the meantime we all have to put up with it or go somehere else.

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
Hi John,

As Bob has said you have been a member of this Website long enough to have an understanding of the problems associated with Gross Tonnage, a Website that no longer exists.

Please do not drag this topic out as you have done in the past, I sincerely hope that you will accept the fact that the vessel was converted from a Bulk Carrier to a Tanker and that you will leave it at that and not continue to argue about it, it is a Fait Accompli.

Regards
Ken Smith
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:03:55 PM by Ken Smith »

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
Nope Ken
As usual, incorrect, the long standing problem you say that everyone is supposed to know about regarding the source of data is and has always been unknown to me.

But, since a problem that continues, is somehow OK because it has a long life and is therefore, acceptable to those who can correct the problem..... well, excuse me for trying to make the site better!!

I will continue to ignore what the forum discusses since problems brought there don't get resolved there but only the messenger gets chastised.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:09:38 AM »
Oldkayacker: before you even started this forum thread I wrote to you in response to your error notification:
They are indeed out of line, oldkayacker.  But that is unfortunately due to grosstonnage.com closing down in Feb 2015 and leaving us, for 2016 ships, with very preliminary details now overtaken by reality.  That's why I am sure that members welcome your up-do-date data in Photo Details.
Unfortunately, I cannot see any early resolution of this problem - alternative good and accessible datasources are proving elusive.

Which part of that - or the replies by five fellow members below - is difficult to understand? 

You are a periodic visitor to the Forum and the problem of grosstonnage.com's demise and our inability to amend or replace it has been raised in a number of threads over the last 18 months, so I am surprised that you have never read any of them.

David Asprey
Co-Webmaster

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »

John,

Here is a notice that was put in the Forum with regard to Gross Tonnage on May 26th 2015, I am sure that you would have seen it.

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,14082.0.html

Regards
Ken

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
Of my 1600+ photos, the error in vessel and technical inform, for Pacific Treasures, is my first encounter with this Gross Tonnage data source error problem!

What data source are other shipspotting sites using?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 06:23:17 PM »
Oldkayaer, please look at the positive site, if Gross Tonngae had still existed we would probably never have know that Pacific Treasures was originally ordered as a bulkcarrier.

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 06:34:22 PM »
John,

You can try Equasis or Miramar both cover Pacific Treasures 9732242

You need to register for both and there is a small fee for Miramar

If you need any help then send me a pm message

Regards
Ken

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Is there any corrective action afoot to use another data source for this site?

Albeit a long standing problem with others, if this is a repeat to some of other discussion, just ignore; but, this is the first time for me to discuss a faulty data source.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk