Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81856 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
Ditto what Stan says

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »
Almost every day a new example, sometimes even 2, and not much work at all mr Kyle Stubbs, just clicking and your photo is all over Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »

Stan & Bob,

I tried very hard during my time as Webmaster to overcome this problem of linking photographs without success, you will both know that in the early days of the site we were a Community mostly sharing each others photographs and I did emphasis that it should be members only submitting their own photographs, back in those days of the old site pre. 2010 some members started uploading interesting old B&W photos from Museums with copyright approval given and they proved to be very popular, I can assure you all were thoroughly checked out before being allowed.

But then in Oct 2010 the Website changed hands and was under new management, it was still free to members and still is but with the advance of the Social Media this was seen as a means of raising Revenue with the result that we now have in front of us every time we upload a host of links to which we can link our photographs and that sadly is a fact of life now.

There is much more that I could say but it would not be prudent to do so, we are much too far down the road now I fear for any drastic changes to be made and must accept the situation as it is, it has been said this is not a Competition but sadly it would seem for some it is.

I will end by saying that the Webmasters and Administrators are not to blame, they are the hard working unpaid workforce of this Website and deserve Credit for what they do every day for this Website, the situation has been imposed upon them and they are doing their best to keep things  in good order..

Regards
Ken

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
    • www.lacuadernacubana.com
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »
Amen.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
good point Ken,

We are aware of your battle.
conclusion;
Can we delete this playground, since it mainly serves a goal for a few, very few, unadapted members?
Apperently it does not serve the "community" anymore.

rgds Stan
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:53:45 PM by Stan Muller »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
Thank you, Ken, for reminding us again of some of the background - and I join you in your appreciation of the work of active Admin.  As ever, we need more of them.

I am not so pessimistic about finding a way to change the present position, which is not really to do with inward linking itself, but the way in which rankings are generated.  Cody and I have this as an active subject for discussion with IT.

It should be noted that the issue is often exaggerated, and the reasons for photos receiving higher numbers of views are many and various.  By way of illustration, taking the current three front page photos, at this moment they have 519, 404 and 272 views respectively.  The 1st and 3rd have no inward-linked views, the 2nd has 90 inward links, so even if these were removed 314 views would still place it in 2nd position.  I am not sayng that there is not an unfairness in the current system - there indeed is - but members should not get so excited about it.

There are some open or thinly veiled attacks on other members in some previous comments which will be removed.  Members are recommended to re-read the Code of Conduct.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
David, the 90 hits from inward links + some standard hits from being on this site made it appear in the top three. Being there did the rest..
Sharing generates hits to reach top 3 postion very quickly. If 1 of the hits also generates a comment, you hit the jackpot. Again.

rgds Stan

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »
the best viewed pictures are those with the most comments. As soon a shot generates one comment the ball starts rolling. That's why it is not allowed to comment on your own picture.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
David, the 90 hits from inward links + some standard hits from being on this site made it appear in the top three. Being there did the rest..
Sharing generates hits to reach top 3 postion very quickly. If 1 of the hits also generates a comment, you hit the jackpot. Again.

rgds Stan

How do we tell how many hits are from the site and how many via a link ?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »
This info for each image is available to at least some Admin, showing the number of inward views from specific sources, usually from some part of Facebook.   There are often a small number from Google, probably where a member is using Google Translate to view the site in their own language.

And yes, Stan, you are right in noting that anything that gets a photo to the visibility of the front page, virtually guarantees an even higher overall ranking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk