Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81959 times)

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:24 AM »
Well Carlos, I guess your photo of Fidelity is also doomed to reach the TOP 3? Just saw it on Facebook.
This site is about sharing photos from all over the world, with a Top 3 and a top 24hr/48hr function to see the most special, most discussed photo's of a certain period.

Current situation is that we see only photos, posted by a handfull of photographers who recieve a handful likes on several Facebook pages, but get alot of hits on Shipspotting due to people automatically clicking the tumbnail on Facebook and being linked to Shipspotting. It will blow over finally, also on Facebook people get bored.

When you are proud of a photo, post it in a personal album on your FB profile and share from that position to other pages.
Or at least wait 24 or 48 hours before sharing it from Shipspotting giving thousands of members the opportunaty to see the most interessting or discussed photos instead of the most shared photos.

It ain't that difficult at all, but I guess some need the thrill to see their name on the main page.
And believe me, shipowners browse by name of ship, they let avarage photos pass by, they have enough choice, so I think It has nothing to do with money or with amount of photos per poster.

please let get back to respect and quality photos.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
it's a known issue of (barely interesting) photos from certain members getting to the Top 3 without a comment.  Maybe their authors post links to them via Facebook or something else.  If we had a more site-dedicated IT guy, better would be to get rid of that Top 3 at all & maybe a hit counter as well.  Actually, better would be making the hit counter visible only to the author of the photo.

lots of suggestions about this have been given throughout many months:
- remove the Top 3 from the home page
- make hit counter be visible only to author of the photo
- make a hit being generated only if the photo is was opened from gallery or via search (optional if the above 2 can't be done).
Problem solved.

Regards,
Denis

I'll keep quoting my suggestion everytime the hits-discussions arise & until the suggestion will be applied. :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:01:46 AM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
    • www.lacuadernacubana.com
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2016, 10:00:37 AM »
Administrators gentlemen, I ask, Is there any rule that limits shipspotting share a photo of your authorship ?. There is an option to share your photos shipspotting more than 190 options between ........., email social networks 198 to share. Again, what limit there to share a photo? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
There is no rule yet, this kind of behaviour has never occured before and has never been foreseen. That is what this topic is all about.

There is a rule though, that a member is not allowed to make a first comment on his own photo.
That was to prevent  to get it in the top 3 quickly yourself. That rule was introduced AFTER some members abused that option to get highlighted daily on the mainpage.

Do I see similarities here?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:54:00 AM by Stan Muller »

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
In my humble opinion, I see many rules only bring problems, but again, I do not care for any photographer has the top with your images, ultimately win or lose nor that.
regards

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
We could decide to delete the share function here..

www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2533992http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2534113

This photo has now 100 hits.Why? The ship is not remarkable, there are better shots of her on the site. The angle is poor, a sideways shot of a loaden tanker makes her look like a pencil, and is the refinery in anyway of any interest?  We make a mockery of the site of we continue to let this go on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:58:28 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 12:02:24 PM »
Pieter: I suspect it is only Mr Brandao - not "we" who can make that decision.

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
That cleared the option to share and we'll see what photos are the most views. ;) ;)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
Pieter: I suspect it is only Mr Brandao - not "we" who can make that decision.

Bob, if I am not mistaken there is function that individuls can use which prevents one's pictures being shared. If that function exists, it can be easily made applicable for all users...

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Shared" photos - IMPORTANT
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2016, 12:35:33 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen .  This discussion is important and members views will help inform how we respond to understandable concerns.  We are more interested in a wide range of members' views, not endless repetitions from the same members.

However, may I remind you that that this is not a place to post insulting comments about other members or make other provocative comments.  I refer you the Code of Conduct; please amend or delete your comment if appropriate.  Remaining offensive comments will be removed and the CofC applied as necessary.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:04:39 PM by davidships »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
I'd prefer my photos to make the top three on merit but it isn't essential to me posting on here. I also post to several other sites but wouldn't even consider sharing via SS. Each to their own, possibly speed/cost/usage restrictions prevent posting individually on multiple sites and sharing from here is their only option?

I wouldn't want the top 3 feature to go, as there are often some very interesting photos that I wouldn't possibly get to see.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
This topic has been quite for a few days but the comments on photos regarding "sharing" is becoming very boring as well as creating even more hits on the photo.

Not had time to read all the posts in this thread so maybe this has already been suggested. If and when the IT guys do a software upgrade why not make the view counter active only when members are logged on, that way, guests (including from shared sites) will not register and the top posts will be a true reflection of the logged on members.

That way those who want to share will still be happy and those who want to see the real top photos will also be happy.

Regards

Bob

Offline john white

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
I agree with Bob only loged in members hits should be recorded then it is a true reflection

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »
I believe the Admins are trying to find a solution to this problem. Perhaps we should be patient for a while to let them get on with it.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Thank you all - I can indeed confirm that we are in discussion with IT about the best (and easiest) way to remove the present unfairness.  I hope to be able to say more in the not too distant future (though the conversation has been rather interrupted by the recent outage abd the appearance of extraneous websites).  Patience may be rewarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk