Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81852 times)

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't get why it's a problem if someone's photo gets more hits than yours, whether it's by sharing, comments or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a competition and I'm just happy to post my photos here.

Brgds
Phil
Totally agree

Tony d

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 07:37:22 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't get why it's a problem if someone's photo gets more hits than yours, whether it's by sharing, comments or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a competition and I'm just happy to post my photos here.

Brgds
Phil

I totally agree Phil !!!

Offline John van Zijderveld

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Johns scheepvaart foto's
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »

Brgds
Phil

Indeed Phil

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »

Brgds
Phil
Posted on: Yesterday at 07:19:54 am Post

Thumbs up!

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
Phil, I think you may be missing the point here.
The web site referred to in this thread seems to collect all of their photos from shipspotting. Then they have the brass neck to say users are free to use these photos for commercial purposes. Also, one has to assume they generate revenue from the adverts on their page. As I understand this, it means they get paid for each click on each advert on their site.
And that boils down to someone else making money off your work. How ethical is that?
So, the point is not sharing your photos with others but having your photo generate income for someone else and none for you.

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
The fact is, as said before: if you upload your pictures anywhere on the web, be it this site or any other, you give others the chance to use them for whatever they want and you give away control over your pictures.

If you have a lawyer at hand, you can sue them (if you find out who really is behind it and if that someone lives in your country - otherwise you can forget it in the first place).

There are sites which try to prevent deep links, disable right-click, and so on. There is a simple workaround for all of this (right-click disabled -> install NoScript and forget about it for example).

Anyone has to make up his or her mind about that before uploading - that's it.

I'm still not sure whether I want this, so of my 10000+ photos only a few are found here as a test.

Best regards,

Michael.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »
The only way to "protect" your photographs is to hide them in your basement (or, as I like to say, "sit on them") and never show them to anyone. Personally, I like the opposite, so I publish all my material under a free Creative Commons license.

...and I'm happy that ShipSpotting provides a possibility of thumbnail linking. I often use this functionality when I need to support my post with a photograph, mine or someone else's. It's ok if members want to opt out from this, but please don't remove the functionality as a whole just because some users think this is some kind of a pissing contest.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
Phil, I think you may be missing the point here.
The web site referred to in this thread seems to collect all of their photos from shipspotting. Then they have the brass neck to say users are free to use these photos for commercial purposes. Also, one has to assume they generate revenue from the adverts on their page. As I understand this, it means they get paid for each click on each advert on their site.
And that boils down to someone else making money off your work. How ethical is that?
So, the point is not sharing your photos with others but having your photo generate income for someone else and none for you.

No Kelvin, it is you who is missing the point. I am referring to those who deliberately link their photos to other social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. This is the bone of contention raised by the initial post. The subject has then gone off on tangent to include those sites which link to our thumbnails.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
Thank you, Phil, for trying to get this thread back to its original intended point. As I type this, no less than 16 of the 24 "most popular" photos are noted as being "Shared" with several other sites. This makes a complete nonsense of the "most popular" list since, although the photos involved were of good enough quality, few - if any - of them would have made it to the top-viewed 24 (without any attached comments) by their own merit.
That was my original point - the "most popular" feature has become irrelevant and might as well be discontinued
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:06:05 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »

I have a question (my ignorance):
Who, or what subject, can activate/make connection to the SHARE application to be active ??

Thank you in advance for an appropriate explanation,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
If you like to share your photos on social media yourself, you can do that 24 hrs after uploading it on shipspotting.com, so it won't "pollute" the topposters list.

For me topposters list 24 hrs is a quick scan for "special" photo's not for (less than) avarage photo's shared to Facebook pages/groups.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:21:30 AM by Stan Muller »

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
Well said, Stan. Exactly what I am trying to convey.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
Well done Stan, absolutely hit the nail on the head

Allan

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
This morning when uploading a photo I happened to notice that the one posted just ONE minute prevously already had 16 hits registered. Ten minutes later it had accumulated 34 hits. That photo is of a quite unremarkable bulk carrier.
It is noted that the photo is "shared" with two other sites. The same poster's other photos - and those of a few others from the same part of the world - also seem to get an inordinate number of hits to the point where he and they have been virtually monoplising the top 24 "most popular" photos.
What the hell is going on here and what are the Admins doing about it? They surely cannot have failed to notice what is going on with a small number of posters who "share" with other sites. It is making a complete farce of the hit counting and "most popular" features of the site and is denying the membership the ability to quickly find the photos on the site that are really the most interesting.  It is just not fair!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »
Couldn't agree more Bob, there does seem to be a small number of culprits who are hell bent on monopolising top spots with very ordinary photos of very ordinary ships to the detriment of more interesting photos and subjects.

Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk