Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81860 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
"Shared" photos
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
I note that of the 24 pictures in the first two pages of the last 24 hours

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »
Bob,

Ken has been banging on about this for years and has not got anywhere I am afraid.
One of the reasons I quit really was the fact you cannot get anything done on this site unless the owner or the tech man want to do it. Never mind the admin team who seem not to count.

No doubt this comment will be removed to, never mind !

Maybe see you in October at Gravesend.

cheers

Derek

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
Personally I'm not bothered how many hits any of my photographs get, I don't post just to generate hits.

However I do share my photographs with other sites, and Facebook forums, but I always upload separately, so that there is no link to this site.

The comments are more useful to me, as they often contain additional information from other members, or corrections. It's obvious though, that if a photograph gets a comment, it them gets a much larger number of hits that it would otherwise, even if the comment is something mundane like correcting an IMO number.

So it seems to me that a photograph will get more hits through getting a comment, than it would if it gets shared.

Offline Doug Shaw

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
Glad you brought this up Bob,couldn't agree more,as you say Derek,as it doesn't fit in with the site
owners ideas,it will no doubt soon be deleted.
A link to a Ships Database site http://www.ships.lv/en/vessels/9129134-thule.html was posted last week,this site consisted of photos from Shipspotting.com,with no acknowledgment to the photographer.
This forum subject was quickly deleated by whoever.
Well if photo contributors to this site are willing to be treated with no consideration whatsoever that is their perogative,I'm not.
As you say Mike there are far more sites run on a more even footing than this one.

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
    • www.lacuadernacubana.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »
who cares a picture look more than another ?, it is important that those photos will serve to shipping companies, students, magazines, etc., even for naval history, that is the real goal, at least I see it that way.

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
You are absolutely right Derek, you may recall I often referred to this being a Two Tiered Website (Them & Us) and how requests from our side were very difficult to achieve and mostly ignored but that said I have to say there have been occasions when a request has been granted.

I am afraid it is still ongoing and is under discussion by the Admin team as I speak, unfortunately it is only when you have held the position of Webmaster as you and I have that you fully appreciate the situation.

On the subject of Hits and Comments to photographs I have lost count of the times I have raised it but I did have a little success with "Likes and Not Likes" which can only be made by a member of the Website and asked for it to be extended but nothing came of it.

My argument is that there is nothing wrong with members linking their photographs, the opportunity is there when uploading for them to do so but linked photographs should not create a hit giving a Photograph a three figure rating, also comments create a hit and they need to be reviewed as well, I have often seen a misspelled word or missing IMO number given as a comment to a photograph and that can produce unjustifiable hits much to the delight of a member.

This is a Member only Website and only Members should be able to add a Hit, I use the word loosely but they should not come from outside Sources, it is grossly unfair to those members that simply upload to the Website.

It has been dragging on for far too long and the whole system needs to be reviewed.

Regards
Ken
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:44:23 PM by Ken Smith »

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
I recently uploaded a photograph of a derelict passenger ship which has languished for many years in Liverpool docks.  Within 2 days the photograph had attracted more than 4,000 hits which seemed out of all proportion to its intrinsic interest.  Questions were raised in the comments about why it had so many hits and someone suggested that it was due to file sharing.  Until then I hadn't realised that sharing was possible and it remains a mystery to me how this can take place without any action or knowledge on my part.  Because the photograph had attracted an unwarranted number of hits which I felt distorted the site statistics I deleted it and I would do so again under similar circumstances unless there is a way that a member can prevent their photo being shared off the site.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:15:07 PM »
Se

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
Does this do anything?

My Photos > Settings

To promote your photos and the website, we allow our shipspotting.com photo thumbnails (210x165 pixels) to be shown on other sites such as maritime websites, social media (example: Facebook, Twitter), home pages and blogs.

When such a thumbnail is shown outside our site:
 - Clicking the thumbnail takes the viewer to the photo page with the original larger photo on shipspotting.com.
 - The photographer is always credited with a copyright mark

We might limit larger websites from showing photos by charging a small fee. This fee will cover the extra costs for serving thumbnails externally, and also help out with financing the shipspotting.com servers.
 If you do not want your photo thumbnails (210x165 pixels) to be shown on other sites, check this box:
[ ] Exclude all my current and future photos from being displayed externally
Regards,
Denis

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »
Thanks Denis.  I was unaware of this facility to prevent external sharing.  I've checked the box as suggested.  Regards. Barry

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
Denis & Barry, the link has been there for sometime and I have referred to it in the Forum on occasions  http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/my_settings.php I have ticked the box but whether it works or not is a good question, I suspect it is primarily for Maritime Connector, there were a few problems in that area.

Regards
Ken
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:50:48 PM by Ken Smith »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »
Glad you brought this up Bob,couldn't agree more,as you say Derek,as it doesn't fit in with the site
owners ideas,it will no doubt soon be deleted.
A link to a Ships Database site http://www.ships.lv/en/vessels/9129134-thule.html was posted last week,this site consisted of photos from Shipspotting.com,with no acknowledgment to the photographer.

I wish I could contact them - the copyright disclaimer reads "Photos copyright: You can use photos by ships.lv for both commercial and non commercial use. Direct link you our website is obligatory!" - how can they offer this on someone elses photos?

And Dennis - it would appear not as I have it set but my photos are still on there - although I must admit they can just copy and use to their hearts content. :(

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Hi Patrick,

data according to WHOIS.NET:

[Domain]
Domain: ships.lv

[Holder]
Type: Natural person
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +371 27233234

[Tech]
Type: Natural person
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +371 27233234

[Nservers]
Nserver: ns1.vidacloud.co.uk
Nserver: ns2.vidacloud.co.uk

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 07:19:54 AM »
i'd rather have 10 views on a photo instead of having 200 by a linked photo. But thats me, and thats stupid of me really, given that i make a living out of this hobby of ours. But thats me.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't get why it's a problem if someone's photo gets more hits than yours, whether it's by sharing, comments or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a competition and I'm just happy to post my photos here.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk