Author Topic: "Shared" photos  (Read 81848 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Shared" photos
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
Isn't it possible that the culprit isn't a culprit but a victim (so to speak)?

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
Does any of it really matter......I think not.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »
Bob and all
Frankly, I'm in listening mode on this at the moment - partly because there is no real consensus on whether there is a problem, what it is might be, or what practical changes would make what difference.  It isn't a question of wagging a finger and saying "don't do that".

I would be more interested now in additional members opinions (rather than additional opinions from members who have already contributed). This discusson is important but, as Ken has already pointed out, making any technical changes of the sort some members are advocating is just not do-able at the moment while the tech side is so unresponsive.  That's what I am working on at the moment.

And in the meantime, if you find that the 3-pic front page gallery is not to your liking, don't forget that a much wider variety of subjects and photographers is just one click away - and changing all the time.

David
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:40:33 AM by davidships »

Clydee

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 06:24:06 AM »
Thank you David for encouraging a widening of debate about this issue

I believe that top of Home page 3 pics is one of the most popular features of this site.

That is manifested by the rapidity with which hits to a photo escalate rapidly when it reaches that spot.  Obviously there are many members and visitors who regularly go there while browsing the site.  They are the same (type of) people who click on Comments on the right hand side and thus generate hits. I suspect that many just like looking at what the site has to display.  

Another source of hits comes from those who have a particular interest in a category such as Passenger or Military vessels, or the work of an admired member.

All responses are examples of the communication based strength of the site which any member can utilise.  For many it has become a path via which site based friendships are established.  That is not only pleasant for the individuals but strengthens the site and thus its future.

But the generation of hits from sources other than directly from members gives a distorted view of popularity with members. It is solely ego driven, not also the concept of sharing.  I hope that can be avoided by site programming, or Admin questioning of a member about unusual rapidity and volume of hits to one photo.  

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »

But the generation of hits from sources other than directly from members gives a distorted view of popularity with members. It is solely ego driven, not also the concept of sharing.  I hope that can be avoided by site programming, or Admin questioning of a member about unusual rapidity and volume of hits to one photo.  

Hello Clyde and all,

I never mix "popularity with members" and "number of hits".

As for "Admin questioning of a member" - this sequence of words made me spill my coffee. Let's just not take these things too seriously. "Where have you been between June 21 and 23?!?" (Strong light directed at the member's face is optional.) :)

If the "Share" button can be abused, how about activating it only 24 hours after the upload, so the "shared" hits will not affect the count on the first page?

Although, the photos would still be able to be shared by simple copy/pasting of the picture page address into the browser.

Cheers

Vlad

Clydee

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
Thanks Vlad

I do believe that "popularity with members" and "number of hits" can sometimes be related.  And can be a source of pride for that member and a useful interest for other members.  You are too modest!

Like most Admin work, judgement (not a rigid rule) would be needed before following up a member whose hits seem unreal - as for at least one case where over a thousand hits were recorded for a pic without one Comment being made to it

Best regards
Clyde

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
To illustrate how the "number of hits" function is really not fit for purpose, I made a mistake when posting a photograph of Jenny Smits earlier today (Posted wrong photograph). A couple of members posited this out via comments, as, within hours, it's in the top three viewed in the past 24 hours, just because people have looked to see what the comment is, rather than because the photograph is especially good.

That's why I ignore the number of hits on my photographs.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
Simonwp: Even without the hits it gained by members pointing out your mistake, your photo of JENNY SMITS may well have made it into the
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:48:09 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline James Scott

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
Hi. I follow tihs site many years, job business. I understand some members used the share option for several options, for example ease? It

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »

Today 16/09/2016 at 06:45 a.m. we had the following situation:
On the 1st page of "24 hours" there are '10 out of 12 photos' from the same Photographer member including all the 3 photos in the Top3 Most Popular.... these photos are all being "shared photos" >> and this is already now becoming very boring >>> and is KILLING the interest towards this website.......

Actually, on Top3 and 1st page of 24 hours, we have a "photo album of shared photos" posted by the one Photographer........ truly, I don't know how to comment this!!
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
    • www.lacuadernacubana.com
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
And who cares, cares ?, you can not think that this photograph can be collaborator or naval several web forums and share your photographs, first because he likes what he does and secondly because the website itself gives shipspotting that option to share. And honestly it makes me think this obsession theme "shared". Why bother ?, bores you do not see your photos on top? or why you lose money ?. I do not understand what the concern, because as far as I know, by having top photos or upload photos here do not gain anything, only wins and navigation help make this website a database. I do not see the problem.
rgd.
Y que mas da,

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
Honestly, before speaking we must analyze the situation Jadran .. Dear friend, you have 457 photographs on this site, Salvador de la Rubia has 5435 photographs. The numbers speak for themselves, to more pictures, more visualizations.
Sinceramente, antes de hablar debemos de analizar la situaci

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:57 AM »
Carlos, it is an anomaly that the most viewed shots are not the best shots or showing the most interesting ships, but the most shared shots. And your argument about the number of shots on the site is a fallacy (not an analysis), because there are many contributors who have far more shots than Salvador. 

Offline Captain Carlitos

• Quite a regular
  • Carlos Vadir Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 08:17:37 AM »
Passage of the issue, ultimately to I do not care. Here are many admin and advocates that they fix the problem. :) :)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
As I see it, small number of people are ruining this site for many of the other users who regularly post photos. How long, I wonder, before photo-posting members start to abandon the site and leave it to the hit-maniacs. I think it might be in the site owners' interest to do something to stop that happening (I am not having a go at the admins here. They, too, seem to be up against it with the
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:46:49 PM by Bob Scott »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk