Author Topic: Dagenham  (Read 4230 times)

Offline ianwateral

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Dagenham
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »
Good afternoon,
I'm thinking of visiting London next month, and was wondering is there any where around Dagenham that gives views of the ships please.

if possible could you include directions from the train station please

many thanks.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dagenham
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
Hi Ian

I doubt that there are any vantage points in Dagenham itself, I live less than 10 miles from there and have never thought about going there for ship photography. The few ships that get that far up river (Thunderer Jetty & Fords) will probably be viewable from the other side of the river at Thamesmede but I have never been there either.
Not much commercial shipping gets far above Purfleet. You will find local vessels, small tugs, workboats and excursion vessels above the Thames Barrier at Woolwich if they are of interest to you.

Enjoy your visit

Regards

Bob

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
Hello Ian,

As Bob has pointed out Dagenham is a no no, I lived opposite it on the South bank of the Thames for 28 years although haven't been down that part of London for a few years. If you want to view ships moored at Dagenham then your best bet if using a train is to go to either Erith or Woolwich stations and walk along the river as there is a footpath/cycle route that runs from Woolwich all the way to Erith (and on to Dartford via a diversion around a bit of Erith).

To be honest if you want to view commercial shipping on the Thames then Gravesend is the best spot and that is easy to reach by train from central London. Other spots are available if you want to view a specific berth but check the PLA website first as the berth may be empty! For example you can reach the Kentish shore opposite Purfleet from Stone Crossing station by footpaths.

Let me know if you need any specific help and I'll do my best to help.

Andrew

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
As has been said, thin (or very thin) pickings are likely from the south side and the riverside path is a long walk from either rail access.  By car it is possible to park right by the river in Lytham Crescent, Thamesmead SE28 8QH, which is fine for the tank farm opposite (where MILFORD FISHER is berthed at present), but east of there the berths are to a considerable degree obscured to south-side piers and barge moorings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk