ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of going to Baltimore MD  (Read 3264 times)
Steven Collingwood
Photo Corrections
Quite a regular

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:44:41 pm »

So, I am thinking of going to Baltimore MD in the next few months.  Doing some research online it looks like Fort Smallwood just south of the city might be a good place to watch the shipping traffic.  Any comments, thoughts, or ideas?
Report to moderator   Logged
Robert J Smith
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:13 pm »

Hi Steven

I spent a couple of days in Baltimore many years ago, at that time I found the inner harbour very accessible and Fort McHenry offered some good views of ship movements. Also, there were a few excursion vessels offering harbour trips although did not have time to explore the commercial dock area much.

My photos from then
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?&search_title=&search_title_option=1&search_imo=&search_pen_no=&search_mmsi=&search_eni=&search_callsign=&search_category_1=-99&search_cat1childs=&search_uid=1483&search_country=United%20States&search_port=Baltimore&search_subports=&search_flag=&search_homeport=&search_adminstatus=&search_classsociety=&search_builder=&search_buildyear1=&search_owner=&search_manager=&sortkey=p.lid&sortorder=desc&page_limit=12&viewtype=1&mod_page_limit=144

Regards

Bob
Steven Collingwood
Photo Corrections
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »

Thanks Robert J Smith!!!
Russell Judge
Supporter
Quite a regular

Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:17:48 pm »

I went in September 2014 specifically to photograph NS Savannah. As luck would have it, they had an open day with full access. May be worth a quick check. Also there was an old Liberty ship "John W Brown" was also open.
Steven Collingwood
Photo Corrections
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »

Thanks Russell Judge, will definitely look into it!!!!
tevillo27
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:06:35 am »

Here is an option if you're closer to the Inner Harbor. If you take Key Highway East after exiting I-95, you'll eventually see the Domino Sugar plant on your left. Right after you pass it there will be a left turn into a parking lot for the Under Armour buildings in North Locust Point, and if you are there during the weekend you should find plenty of parking. That is a good place to see bulk carriers discharging sugar. 

Fort Smallwood is a decent vantage point, but there can be long waits for vessels. Also, you need to always be aware of your surroundings there.
Steven Collingwood
Photo Corrections
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:04 am »

Thanks!!!
Clyde Dickens
FAQ Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 04:28:08 am »

I have posted the replies to the shipspotting locations category as a trial

See http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2510614

The Internet address states that the images can be used

Clyde
FAQ Editor
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:29:57 am by Clyde Dickens » Report to moderator   Logged

To view some of the shipspotting sites I use, see the listing at  http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=510326.
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:46 pm »

now at:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2510780
Clyde Dickens
FAQ Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:38 pm »

Thank you David

Sorry! I found a more appropriate available image and forgot to change the link when I used it and deleted the earlier one.

Category Admin Brian Nicholls (Pier Master) agrees with this extra method for recording Shipspotting Locations.  The Category Standard / Guideline has been amended to show both methods

Clyde
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:38:42 am by Clyde Dickens » Report to moderator   Logged

To view some of the shipspotting sites I use, see the listing at  http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=510326.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: