Author Topic: Kings Lynn and Wisbech  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Kings Lynn and Wisbech
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
Could anyone advise me as to the best places for ship photography at Kings Lynn and Wisbech? I've had a look on Google Earth at Wisbech and there would appear to be a public road on the opposite bank to the berths, but at Kings Lynn I can't make out whether there's a road/footpath or private lane which seems to be opposite a berth on the river. I don't think it would be possible to photo ships in the Docks at KL but am willing to be told otherwise.Thanx.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Lynn and Wisbech
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »
There is a road running alongside the berths at Wisbech. It is possible to stop and get photos. But it may be necessary to climb a bank etc, depending on which berth is occupied. However ships are infrequent.

There is a road (Cross bank road) running through the centre of Kings Lynn docks and photos of ships in the port are possible from the bridge over the cut between the two docks. Watch out for over zealous security men. Ships on the river berth are easily photographed from the bank opposite. You need to go round to West Lynn and park at the very end of Fox's Lane go over a stile into a field and up to the river bank.

best of luck

Derek

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Alternative parking (also free) at West Lynn is at the ferry terminal at Ferry Square/Bank Side.  The river bank is fully accessible

Or indeed, take the ferry from the town.
https://www.west-norfolk.gov.uk/info/20007/people_and_communities/441/public_transport

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Whilst you are down this way maybe also stop by at Port Sutton Bridge, there is a viewing area right opposite the port and photography is best from that side from first light up until around 12.30hrs.  Thereafter the sun is starting to make photography difficult unless you cross over to the other side for any ship movements.  Basically follow New Road until it brings you back alongside the river and access is pretty much available for the whole stretch from the port right up to the lighthouses.

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
Many thanx to all three of you, Much appreciated. I have stopped at Sutton Bridge when on my way to Gt Yarmouth and got some good pix. The last trip tp Gt Yarmouth I looked on Marine Traffic to see if there was anything at Sutton Bridge and was surprised to see a Russian ship well inland of SB and bound for Wisbech. I wasn't aware that vessels still called at Wisbech and intended making a detour but SWMBO'd put the mockers on it. I once saw a programme on the telly called 'A Passage to Wisbech' filmed on a coaster, well worth a watch, I suppose it will be somewhere on t'interweb. Thanx agen. 

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
Here's a link to the programme Colwyn

https://youtu.be/ZW0SxfRShI8

Offline eptcpt

• eptcpt
  • Supporter
  • Just popping in