Author Topic: Ships Index  (Read 4510 times)

Offline BOSUN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ships Index
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »
Any suggestions on where I might find an on-line listing of IMO-registered ships, without having to pay a small fortune?  ~(:->)

Offline 123search

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ships Index
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
You could try Equasis that give all information Imo Number ext. Just Register for free

Offline BOSUN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks. I have an account with Equasis, but it's not very helpful. They offer the capability to retrieve data on a one-ship-at-a-time basis, and I use that quite frequently, but their rules of use are quite specific in stating "no bulk downloads." I've also tried IACS, where a "bulk" download of sorts is available, but the ship information in the file is extremely limited (IMO number, name) and only the 13 classification societies (out of ~50) that notify Equasis are included, since Equasis supplies IACS.  ???

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »
If you are looking for a free download of all IMO numbers and with a wide range of ship data then it does not exist, which is not at all surprising.  Maintaining an up-to-date ship database is a complicated and expensive venture and those that have the resources to maintain one are not going to give it away.  You do not say what you intend to do with it that goes beyond searching for individual ships' data using the variety of free or low-cast resources that are available.

In any case, I am finding it difficult to understand how it would be technically possible to provide the extent of data you mention in an accessible online resource that is in the form of a complete table rather than a searchable database.

Offline BOSUN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:07:46 AM »
Well, thanks for your thoughts. Unlike you, I do find it surprising, because someone, somewhere, must have done precisely that. I have a copy of exactly such a table, last downloaded in 2011, with 112,000 entries, that takes up only about 8 Mbytes in downloadable CSV format, but a good deal more in Microsoft Access. It contains IMO#/Name/Type/Callsign/Flag/GT/DWT/Year - not a vast amount of information, but enough for my interests, if only it were up-to-date; unfortunately, it cuts off at IMO #9570XXX, which is why I'm searching.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »
i suspect, Bosun, that you have managed to get a download of a table that someone else had paid for, because I'm not aware of any such table existing for free, although I am aware that such tables are available if paid for (expensive). I certainly know from my time in the shipping industry that one existed at LR, which was used internally, but for direct access by staff, and as part of a searchable database. As far as I can remember it was never available to the public, although it's possible a user could have downloaded it, and distributed it to a few people.

I think it's fair to say that if such a list was in the public domain, members of this site would be aware, they would be all over it like a rash.

However. I do wonder if the Miramar Ship Index could be tweeked to produce such a list. Looking at the way it appears to be constructed it looks possible with a bit of work. That would still cost to access, to cover this costs of doing the work, but probably less than anything commercial. Might be worth approaching them, but don't hold your breath, it's an enthusiasts site, run my enthusiasts, with all the constraints that involves.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »
Bosun,

David is absolutely right. There is no such thing as a free download of the type that you have specified. I know this because I work for a business providing maritime data, including a database of over 150,000 ships. We go to great lengths to protect our data and it is only available to those who pay for it!

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk