Author Topic: Dry cargoes  (Read 9858 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
Dry cargoes
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:48:02 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering out of all the dry cargoes carried, which was the most hazardous?

Coal dust springs to mind although I've heard that dust explosions are first caused by methane explosions.

Does that also cover dust from wheat or other dry natural products (ore etc).

Regards,

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dry cargoes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:56:43 AM »
Well,,dust explosions in corn silos is still today a serious matter also when it can be controlled rather good since some years. Dust explosions on ships I never heard off.
One of the most dangerous for is certain types of steel shavings and such which "eat away" the oxygen,,which makes it extreme dangerous because mostly nobody exspects that that going to happen.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
It depends in what context. Some are dangerous because they can give off fumes, some because they absorb oxygen, some because they decompose if they get wet, or are exposed to heat, some because they can shift easily in bad weather.

When I was at college training to go to sea (I eventually went as a radio officer because my eyesight failed), we had to study a large book about the properties and stowage of cargo's which had huge tables listing the cargo's and their potential hazards and how they should be stowed. It was worse in the days of general cargo liners as you also had to take into account the need to keep certain cargo's away from each other in case they accidentially came into contact, and multiple ports of discharge. Containerisation has changed all that, but there are still related risks.

Iron ore was one cargo we didn't like as it was very dense, didn't take up much room for the tonnage lifted, made the ship roll badly because of a lower centre of gravity, and if you were not in a ship specifically designed for carrying iron ore, had a danger of shifting in bad weather.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:05:23 AM by simonwp »

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:14:07 AM »
Related to the coal, shipowner and Master usually ask the Cargo declaration by shipper/supplier prior loading. And good stowage and trimmed the cargo i think will minimize the problem..rgds

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
Here is some info on the IMDG code. This article talks about the 9 different classes so it is not just about dry cargo but very informative in general.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-hazardous-cargo-imdg-code-details-shiv-soni

And below is another very informative article.

http://www.gard.no/Content/6227919/Dangerous%20solid%20cargoes%20in%20bulk%20%20January%202014.pdf

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
Thank you mr.DSD1000, Very useful info.
Brgds

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
As members may be aware in October and November 2010 three vessels the

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Copra is something that hasn't been mentioned so far. Not only is it prone to self heating/combustion, any bulk copra cargo always comes with hordes of Copra Bugs (Necrobia Rufipes). They're nasty little beetles which get into everything - bulkheads, linen, food stores etc and can give a little nip. It wasn't unusual to find them in your bunk.
They're durable little blighters which would eat anything and which (like cockroaches) always seemed to survive regular fumigation.
Often found in ships of China Navigation or Bank Line!

Offline husni

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »
Still no experience for me abt loading nickel ore.. Master or cargo Surveyor (supercargo) have right to reject the cargo if not in accordance with Shipper's declaration.

Pls give me correction as above on my best knowledge.

Offline libertyshiplad

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »
Wonder if there are many old cargo stowage plans around,made on board for each voyage?
Have a couple for a liberty ship,dangerous drums of chemicals ,corrosives etc always stowed on deck.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 10:30:07 PM »
See my pic of Albright Pioneer...

Albright Pioneer was delivered October 1968 by Vickers Armstrong to Albright & Wilson Ltd. (James Fisher mgr.) Albright Pioneer was the first of a pair of unique vessels built specifically for the transportation of liquid phosphorus from Long Harbour, Newfoundland, to Portishead in UK and to sites in Japan. The dangerous chemical was transported in 4 water heated tanks, held at 60 degrees C, each of 1,250t giving the vessels a capacity of 5,000t. Given the ability of phosphorus to spontaneously combust on contact with air, the cargo was protected with both water and inert gas systems. Although awaiting confirmation, I suspect there was a heated tank in each hold, and the deck structures sophisticated scrubbing/safety systems for loading/unloading operations.

Allan

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
Take a look at this link. Please also note the tabs on the page for some additional information.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/173.188

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »
Do ships have specific holds for Dangerous Goods?

Take a look at this info forum members.

http://www.shashikallada.com/ships-specific-holds-dangerous-goods/

http://www.shashikallada.com/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:36:35 PM by DeepSeaDiver1000 »

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
I just emailed Shashi and pointed him to this thread. Hopefully, he can help us?

When you look thru his website - It is apparent Shashi knows what he is talking about.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:53:54 PM by DeepSeaDiver1000 »

Offline shashi kallada

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • IMDG Code Compliance Centre
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »
Hello DeepSeaDiver1000,

Thank you for asking my opinion here.
Before starting to reply let me say I also sailed as a Radio Officer on Merchant Ships as simonwp. Later switched to shore.

PHOSPHORUS is only permitted in packaged form in IMDG Code.
Which means, it is prohibited to be transported in bulk.
It cannot be transported in bulk as PHOSPHORUS will Ignite spontaneously in air.

IMDG Code has assigned UN Number 1381 for PHOSPHORUS WHITE & YELLOW dry, under water or in solution. Packing instruction specifies that packagings shall be hermetically sealed.

WHITE PHOSPHOROUS may also be transported in MOLTEN form, which is assigned to UN Number 2447 and is permitted only in UN PORTABLE TANKS.

PHOSPHORUS in packaged form UN 1381,can  be carried ON DECK or UNDER DECK on cargo ships but is PROHIBITED on passenger ships (number of passengers limited to not more than 25 or to 1 passenger per 3 m of overall length, whichever is the greater number)

UN 2447, PHOSPHORUS, WHITE, MOLTEN, in UN Portable Tanks are permitted to be loaded ON DECK ONLY on cargo ships and prohibited on passenger ships.

Trust this information is useful.

Regards/Shashi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk