Author Topic: ISTANBUL  (Read 7781 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
ISTANBUL
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
Just a short visit mainly to photograph Bosphorus shipping not normally seen in NE Europe.
After checking various reports/maps, I chose the Karakoy Port Hotel just north of the Golden Horn but on the Bosphorus. It has a good view from the 6th floor breakfast room but into the sun in the morning. There is a terrace above but most of the view is blocked by a red tiled roof. Despite this, it was a great hotel with excellent staff and only 2 tram stops to Eminonu at the S. end of Galata Bridge for the Bosphorus ferry. Still only TL 23 (Euro 7) for an all day trip if you stop for lunch. I did the trip with a colleague and we stopped at Sirayer for a 4 hour lunch! Good restaurant on the waterfront ideal for photography. You could also stop at Anadolu Kavagi where there are also loads of waterfront restaurants
My colleague was staying at the Best Western Citadel (where I had stayed in 2013) so we decided to stay on his hotel terrace all the next day If staying here, would recommend the 3rd floor to be above the trees. Constant procession of shipping in alternate directions. Weather was mixed and visibility was generally good. Hope to return next year

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
Re: ISTANBUL
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »
It sounds like you had a good time. Thank you for your post.

Regards, Brian AKA The Pier Master.
Blistering barnacles...

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your photos from the trip Russell

Clydee

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
Thank you Russel for such a good summary of your visit

Can you help members further by giving directions to more good locations for later use and help to others?  Very useful are comments like your "recommend the 3rd floor to be above the trees. Constant procession of shipping in alternate directions"

There is a guidance FAQ under the Category Standards and Guidance heading reached from the Support tab on the Home page, or go to http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Shipspotting%20locations

The upload category is found at the end of the category listing.

Clyde

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
I am also looking forward to seeing your photos from the trip Russell. Thanks for the share.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk