Author Topic: Ship Spotting - Ships or armament?  (Read 9177 times)

Offline Andreas Schlatterer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Ship Spotting - Ships or armament?
« on: June 23, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
Hello together

Top Picture - http://shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2482532

I am a member since 2005 and never had a idea that we have also a category "armament". Okay, I am also not that interested in the grey vessels but when I get one of the navy vessel in front of my camera I take the shot but from the "ship".
But today I was a bit surprised and that brought me to write a comment
I am really quite astonished how a simple gun made it to the Top Pics........That brings myself to think about that really nice and beautifull pics where as example some seagull is present get deleted becaused it is called a obstruction. Okay that is standart of the site i can hardly accept but I except. But here in this case "nothing" at all which gave me the idea that the picture is related to a vessel except the headline for the pic. My question whats the idea  of the site shipspotting or armament show. Next think may I will see is the revolver or pistol from one of the safety guards........... forget it

My opinion - we should stick tothe world of ships, navy and merchant, but ships, not armaments. .
The Internet world have enough possibilities to get some info about armaments, guns and the other navy and army stuff, use this.
Just keep it close to the name of the site it is called "Shipspotting"

My point of view
with regards
capesize

Capesize

Offline Adi Man

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Spotting - Ships or armament?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
I absolutely agree with you, Andreas, also I don't like to see on top ships pictures without a name or IMO number.
Regards,
Adi

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »
I am going to respectfully disagree.  For warships, armaments are an integral part of them.  If we say no to that, do we say no to funnel markings or ship interior shots as well?  I know many do like "grey" ships or warships, but there are also those that like them as much as civilian ships.  And the lack of an IMO number does not mean it is not a ship, just doesn't have an IMO number.  I respect the other opinions, but I disagree for my two cents worth.
Steven Collingwood

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »
It's not so much about the armament, as it is about some cool gun or whatever creating comments, therefore getting the top spot of the day.
Otherwise many people would not even be aware of the existence of the category.
Recently we also had a photo showing a big fire, and barely any ships.
Also very "clickable" and very popular.
So what?
This will happen every now and then, but it's nothing to get excited about, imho.

If there is a category, then let it be treated just like any other category. If the photo is popular, so be it.

Cheers

Vlad

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:33:36 PM »
Vlad:
Unless one is a gun-obsessed American member of the National Rifle Association, there is in my opinion no such thing as a "cool" gun.
Nevertheless I have no objection to GPMG being included in the category for ships' armaments (which I very rarely look at). Makes,I suppose, a change from the usual missile launchers, etc

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 05:34:53 AM »

Unless one is a gun-obsessed American member of the National Rifle Association, there is in my opinion no such thing as a "cool" gun.

You are entitled to your opinion as we are entitled to ours, but calling someone "obsessed" just because of (healthy) interest in something you don't care about is not right and proper.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »
Ah, Bob reminded me to pay my membership fee... :)

OK, "cool" was just a choice of words, but a six-barrelled Gatling gun (for instance) is the very definition of "cool"! ;)

I have some armament photos, the main reason being that, if the lens is not wide enough to get the whole ship, I have to find something to take a picture of. But I don't remember ever posting them here (let me check...no photos found!), so I really do limit myself to "ship spotting" only.

Anyway, since there is an (obscure) category for armaments, be it a 16 inch gun turret or a GPMG (I don't believe we'll see anything smaller than that), let the people post!

Cheers

Vlad

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
Vlad: Glad to see someone has a sense of humour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk