Author Topic: Shipspotters Hotels etc.  (Read 11404 times)

Offline Huug Pieterse

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotters.nl
Shipspotters Hotels etc.
« on: May 04, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »
Shipspotters do it worldwide one might say. As we all know some of us travel abroad for there hobby.
So a friend from Canada recently came to Holland for two weeks and stayed in Goes. Goes is a small town in Zeeland-The Netherlands and is not far from the Schelde-Antwerp and Terneuzen. Rotterdam is also nearby. He stayed in the just opened  Shipspotters Guesthouse managed by Jan  and Dorothy van der Pluijm and was very satisfied .
Look at  www.shipspottersguesthouse.nl as they do have there own website..

Maybe it is a good idea to exchange some good addresses where one stay for a fair price.

I am  looking for some suggestions in the Kiel Kanal area!

Thanks in advance

Huug  Pieterse/ Bituma
 :-)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
Re: Shipspotters Hotels etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:22:42 PM »
Thanks for the link, Huug, it looks like a good deal for what you get.

I would also suggest the Hotel Tollenique in Terneuzen. It's a good hotel, at a reasonable price, and is only across the road from the breakwaters.

Offline Reheat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.netherways.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:02:06 PM »
Best ship spotting hotel I have ever stayed in is the Hotel Nikko, Kowloon Island, Hong Kong. Amazing views.. About 30 ships at least going past every hour, of every type and size!

Alex

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:41:52 AM »
Can you photograph them from the hotel easily? Hong Kong and Singapore are on my list of must do's before the green brigade stop us all from traveling one day...

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
Hi! I just rediscovered a first rate small hotel right on the St-Lawrence bank.
http://www.goeliche.ca/
It is full this time of year fall colors are in full bloom . The general area is also a dreamland for photographers and nature lovers. I will shortly be posting a small album  (Ile d'Orleans) on webshots see my albums  under naturepainter.

In spring the orchards are blooming. Ski slopes and trails are less than 20 minutes away. Great food there and all around neigborhood. Quebec City is less than 20 minutes away. The Quebec harbor would be the background of your ships photos.

A maritime decor ornates the rooms. Ships average about one an hour.  You should check the St-Lawrence pilotage statistics. The ships are seen from several miles both ways. Rooms with riverview are offered. Jean

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
I can recommend The Churchill Hotel Terneuzen,www.hotels.nl/terneuzen/churchill/
i have stayed there twice & it is a nice clean hotel and the restaurant actually overlooks the schelde, every meal ive had there has been great although interupted by dashing out to get a photo of something passing!

the staff are very helpfull and there is internet access so you can check up on the expected arrivals/departures from Antwerp.

It is only a 15min walk from the town & the westkant cafe www.westkant.nl which is a fab place to view ships while enjoying a meal and drink or two!      :-D

Andrew

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 04:00:46 PM »
Those look like nice hotels but unfortunately when I travel I need to find more modest places!!!!!!!!!  Since I am away from the hotel from dawn to dusk, I don't need, and cannot usually afford, a 4 star hotel.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Dave Medgett

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 03:26:29 AM »
Hi Bituma,

re. the Kiel Canal - some years ago I stayed at Fischerhutte which is around half way along the canal beside one of the ferries. It was then self-catering with 3 or 4 self-contained guest rooms. Very comfortable and only 25 metres from the canal.

I don't know if it is still in business taking guests - maybe one of our German friends knows the answer.

Regards,
Dave

Offline SD7

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 08:42:55 PM »
One hotel I can certainly recommend is the Harbour View Hotel in Singapore - it does exactly what it says in the title!

Floors 20 and above are best, and ensure that you get a sea view when booking.

Great views over the port's original container terminal and a fantastic view across the Singapore Straits: much of the Eastern Anchorage can be seen from the hotel windows (which surprisingly don't distort when viewed through using a powerful telescope).

It's not uncommon to log 60+ VLCCs on a 10-day trip (with even 10 per day passing at times)!

Not too clever for photos though - you'd need a boat trip for that.

Steve.

Offline RoRoMan

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
Cheap Hotel along Kiel Canal

A really cheap alternative along the Kiel Canal is the Burger Fahrhaus in Burg.

Burg is situated about 10 km NE of Brunsbuttel and about 2 km from the canal, but the hotel is along the canal at the ferry. It is a German/Chinese restaurant, probably with Chinese owners. The restaurant (with canal view) is OK, the rest of the place is a bit run down.

There are about 4 rooms and you have to share the bathroom with other guests. The rooms are basic, no TV, no internet but with a bed and heating.... Many guests are shiplovers from Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavia.

I stayed there earlier this year and paid 30 euro's per night for a single room including breakfast. Not bad when you only need a room to sleep and recharge your camera.

Burger Fahrhaus
Hafenstrasse 48
25712 Burg
04825 24 17

(I don't think they had e-mail when I booked)

In the summer, you have to book well in advance!

RoRoMan

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
I travel to Istanbul Turkey every month on business.
It does not jump to the front of everyone's shipspotters place, but flights are very reasonable,hotels are abundent of all classes and the food is great.
Take a taxi from the Airport (30/40min)(
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk