Author Topic: Changes in posting and sharing Ship-Photos  (Read 9058 times)

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Changes in posting and sharing Ship-Photos
« on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
Good Morning!

There are some changes in the shipspotting-net:

Please see (for example): https://www.facebook.com/groups/Juergen.Fischer/?fref=nf

My opinion: Shipspotting.com should add and establish a "mixed side" for shipspotters.

Regards Peter

Admin Note: Thread moved to the Site Related News, Functions and Modules forum board - Kind regards, Cody
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:12:27 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Changes in posting and sharing Ship-Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
I for one most certainly hope that is not the way in which you would like to see Shipspotting develop.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
It is my opinion that, rather than going down the path suggested by Peter, what sharing with other sites that does happen on this site should, if possible, be blocked and discontinued forthwith because it results in unremarkable photos turning up undeservedly in the
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:44:43 AM by Bob Scott »

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
Bob,

you are so right on this, couldn't agree more on all aspects, mentioned!

best regards
Stan

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »

I am inclined to agree with Bob and Stan with regard to linking of photographs which result in inflating Hits.

I have argued this for a long time with the Owner and IT man and whilst Webmaster tried very hard to to get this changed and my point was that HITS to photographs should only be allowed by registered members of this Website and not influenced by outsiders.

When I joined this Website it was a Small Community, I have a membership number of 75, the most recent member's number is 138097 which is an indication of how the Website has grown over the years and we have to remember this is basically and I use the word loosely a "Hobby" Website for sharing Ship Photographs and general discussion on shipping matters.

I am afraid  that with the advance of the Social Media we have to keep up with the times, sadly many that have joined do not support the Website with photographs but use it for their own ends to gain information and regrettably sometimes steal our photographs but as has been said so many times that is the risk we must accept.

We cannot stop progress but I feel very strongly that we should only allow Hits to photographs from Members of the Website, I also feel that a Comment should not generate Hits, I do know from experience that Comments have been used for this purpose.

I note that Bob has referred to the Old Site when we had a "Top Posters" list, a great sigh of relief went up when it was not included in the New Site, unfortunately it now has a replacement with the advance of the Social Media.

These are my personal thoughts based on many years of working on this Website and the knowledge I have gained.

Kind Regards
Ken

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
I agree with Bob, Stan and Ken, too.

What I like about this Site is that it is focussed on it's topic: shipping and shipping photography.

I am pretty sure that this focus is lost if it is "developed" in the direction of social media.

Beeing totally annoyed of scrolling and reading through all the nonsens posted in the so called social networks I stopped using them quite some time ago.

I took a look at the facebook group that Peter posted a link to - personally I won't take a second look at it. Questions about the price of Seafood in Hamburg or elsewhere aren't questions I call shipping-related.

Like AOL in the old days many people today use facebook and all the others as the "operating system" of the internet - I am aware of that fact. Younger people I meet are often not capable of typing an url into the adress-bar of a browser ...

What was it again that was written on my classrom wall? Not everything that is good is popular - not everything that is popular is good.

At least not for me.

Best regards,

Michael.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »
I am afraid  that with the advance of the Social Media we have to keep up with the times, sadly many that have joined do not support the Website with photographs but use it for their own ends to gain information....

I am a relative newcomer to ShipSpotting.com and admit that I do find it a valuable source of information in identifying ships especially when used in conjunction with AIS ship tracking; it's a very good source of searchable ship photographs.

And no I don't submit photographs as I am really not sure they would pass the test of quality especially when there are seemingly endless threads about the subject of photo deletion from unhappy contributors. I do however post to Social Media where standards are perhaps not as good as here but where some either newsworthy photo will appear or old scans of 'shoebox snaps' are posted that I find fascinating even if the quality is poor, they usually have a good historical content.

So both Social Media and Shipspotting.com serve a purpose as far as I am concerned and I am happy for them both to remain as totally separate entities.

Offline John Grace

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 02:30:33 PM »
I for one am very happy with the site as it is. It is perhaps not perfect but it is run by a group of volunteers who do a very good job, thanks guys. I do use other sites also and if I wanted social media or any other type of site I know how to set about getting it. For me it is an interesting hobby and this site provides a very good tool/source for one of my hobbies.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
I am afraid  that with the advance of the Social Media we have to keep up with the times, sadly many that have joined do not support the Website with photographs but use it for their own ends to gain information....

I am a relative newcomer to ShipSpotting.com and admit that I do find it a valuable source of information in identifying ships especially when used in conjunction with AIS ship tracking; it's a very good source of searchable ship photographs.

And no I don't submit photographs as I am really not sure they would pass the test of quality especially when there are seemingly endless threads about the subject of photo deletion from unhappy contributors. I do however post to Social Media where standards are perhaps not as good as here but where some either newsworthy photo will appear or old scans of 'shoebox snaps' are posted that I find fascinating even if the quality is poor, they usually have a good historical content.

So both Social Media and Shipspotting.com serve a purpose as far as I am concerned and I am happy for them both to remain as totally separate entities.

I'm with Riverman on this, both have their purposes. Sometimes I feel that Shipspotting "cuts off it's nose to spite it's face" by deleting photographs that are of real interest but do not quite meet site standards, social media can often then become a good alternative for such photographs. I use both to try and get the best of both worlds.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
I have no issue with members putting their photos on other sites but I do find it disappointing that  they themselves or their friends can then click on the photo on the other site and get a hit on this one without even looking at
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 09:55:42 PM by Bob Scott »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk