Author Topic: Photo removal  (Read 9859 times)

Offline Sorin Tițu

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Photo removal
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
this photo was rejected due to, thay say, obstruction. For 3 wires it was deleted. I saw a lot of photos taken in northern europe harbors that are really obstructed compared with this photo. The rejection, i see, is based on the location. Do you consider this ship being obstructed by that bird? I received the answer that the tug isn't the problem.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:46:29 PM by Sorin Tițu »

Offline Sorin Tițu

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: Photo removal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
Same story about this one.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
The site rule regarding obstructions has been in place longer than you have been a member. You should have familiarised yourself with the standards before posting any photos. I have not always agreed with Admins' deletion decisions but I am in total agreement with them in both these cases.
If you have a photo manipulation kit like Photoshop, you could clone out the bird and even, with a bit of patience and skill, get rid of the mooring lines and then re-submit the pics. Otherwise be aware next time that if you submit photos like these, they will not be accepted - so don't do it.

Offline Sorin Tițu

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »
I didn't want show how skillfull i am with the photoshop. I didn't want to remove the bird. Your comment assures me that if some one knows to work in photoshop thinks of him as a photographer.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
I didn't want show how skillfull i am with the photoshop. I didn't want to remove the bird. Your comment assures me that if some one knows to work in photoshop thinks of him as a photographer.

You are drawing the wrong conclusion. Photoshop/photo adjusting is sometimes needed to make photos comply with the site standards. That has nothing to do with considering yourself a photographer or not. The shot with the bird is interesting, but not meeting site standards. It is as simple as that. And I am sure the photographer took more shots when he saw the bird in his viewer when taking the shot. And for your information, I routinely remove windmills from my shots because I grew up photographing ships in Rotterdam without those in the background. In your definition I can now fortunately think of me as a photographer.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
This is an interesting debate. I always like to keep my photographs "as seen", so if I photograph a ship with a mooring rope partly in the way, or a wind turbine in the background, I don't then use photoshop to remove them. That was how I saw the ship. I only use photoshop to straighten or resize a photograph.

However, I wouldn't then post the photograph on here, if I didn't think it met site standards, unless I though it was of exceptional interest, then I would put some comments to say why I thought that.

It's a very subjective issue. Some people think that objects such as buoys, birds, cranes, ropes etc are part of the maritime environment of a ship, and therefore are acceptable. Some sites do accept photographs like this, so if you do as well, perhaps you should post to them. This site does not., some might say unfortunately, but those are the rules.

Offline Sorin Tițu

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
You are drawing the wrong conclusion. Photoshop/photo adjusting is sometimes needed to make photos comply with the site standards. That has nothing to do with considering yourself a photographer or not. The shot with the bird is interesting, but not meeting site standards. It is as simple as that. And I am sure the photographer took more shots when he saw the bird in his viewer when taking the shot. And for your information, I routinely remove windmills from my shots because I grew up photographing ships in Rotterdam without those in the background. In your definition I can now fortunately think of me as a photographer.

I don't think that removing something from a photo just to meet site's standard is good. The rules should be done around the photos. Not only mine, but there were a lot of interesting photos which were deleted because it didn't fulfill the standards. Why do you remove the windmills? they are part of the landscape. those are not photographs, but some digital edited images. Not photographs.

28/05/16 - Opening quote tag added - Admin Cody
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:57:23 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:07:12 PM »

I don't think that removing something from a photo just to meet site's standard is good. The rules should be done around the photos. Not only mine, but there were a lot of interesting photos which were deleted because it didn't fulfill the standards. Why do you remove the windmills? they are part of the landscape. those are not photographs, but some digital edited images. Not photographs.

Re your first line, if you don't think it is good to remove objects in order to meet site standards, then there is only alternative: Don't post it. As Simon mentioned above, perhaps there are other sites that allow those. Windturbines are my private obsession, on my old shots there are no such things, hence I don't like to see them in my new shots, so I always try to find a position for the shot where they are either not visible are alternatively positioned in such a way that a can easily edit them out. I have never heard any complaints from people who missed them...

Offline Sorin Tițu

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 05:18:57 PM »
Re your first line, if you don't think it is good to remove objects in order to meet site standards, then there is only alternative: Don't post it. As Simon mentioned above, perhaps there are other sites that allow those. Windturbines are my private obsession, on my old shots there are no such things, hence I don't like to see them in my new shots, so I always try to find a position for the shot where they are either not visible are alternatively positioned in such a way that a can easily edit them out. I have never heard any complaints from people who missed them...
[/quote]

A photo of a ship with just it in it, tends to be boring.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:34:49 AM »

A photo of a ship with just it in it, tends to be boring.
Thats what the site is about photos with ships.

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »
Titu, enough is enough. I/We know now your "problem".
Please do not spam this internetsite with your more or less boring comments.
Have a good day and make your photos that you like.
Regards Peter

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »
Sorin Titu - Stop wasting your time with something you will not win. Those photos have obstructions. Spend your time by going out and taking some more photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk