Author Topic: identifying tugs Hello  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Tobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
identifying tugs Hello
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:45:18 PM »
Hello all,
I new to this forum and to tugs generally. I am building various model boats and aircraft but at present am concentrating on two tugs that I rather like the lines of: Wacht am Rhein/Pieter Boele (this I visited in Dordrecht) and a larger model which I believe is an empire tug.
I wonder if some of you would be kind enough to tell me how to distinguish such tugs and as I now understand it also the sub-categories to this classification of tug. Can they be identified depending upon the building company for although the aim was to privies efficient building of like boats perhaps there were characteristics pertinent to each. Also do plans exist to help with good quality detailing for as it is a large model details are essential. 
Thanks

Tobi

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: identifying tugs Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tobi thanks for joining.

This link might help you. http://www.ral.ca/articles/BCSN-12-05-Tug-Design-Guide.pdf

Are you familiar with the term TOAR in relation to tugs?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:53:14 PM by DeepSeaDiver1000 »

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »
This link can also help you Tobi. Please note the Horsepower ratings.

http://www.marcon.com/library/market_reports/2016/tg05-16.pdf

Offline Tobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Hello Deep Sea Diver.

Thank you for your welcome and reply to my enquiry.
I have just downloaded your link and am enjoying it very much. Just thought i would make a quick reply before continuing.

No,  I am not aware of the term or acronym TOAR. Perhaps you would oblige.
Tobi

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »
Hi Tobi,

Ok TOAR is an acronym for Towing Officers Assessment Record.

What is a TOAR? Basically, it's a special license to operate a Tug / towing vessel.

If you have a US Coast Guard license, an endorsement is required to operate Towing Vessels. NVIC 4-01 stipulates that a mariner may operate a towing vessel if, on or after May 21, 2006, and after any license transaction following any license upgrade or renewal, an officer operating towing vessels must hold any of the following licenses or endorsements:

Master of towing vessels.

Master of inspected self-propelled vessels greater than 200 GRT with a completed TOAR.
Mate (pilot) of towing vessels.
Mate of inspected self-propelled vessels greater than 200 GRT with a completed TOAR (limited to serving in the capacity of mate (pilot) of towing vessels).
Apprentice mate (steersman) (under the direct supervision of a licensed officer). 

Offline Tobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »
Thank you so much DSD,
All very helpful and interesting.  The two links for pdfs you kindly supplied, I am now re-reading.

Thanks
Tobi

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:04 AM »
Your welcome Tobi. It is a learning process for me also. There is so much to learn for us all and it never ends. I really love this website / forum learning from all the pros way above me. You all are awesome. I look forward to chatting with you Tobi.  :)

Offline Tobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Likewise DSD,
I am still trying to navigate my way about this website/forum as there is so much; how to find and then what to choose to read through!
Tobi

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
Another primary way they rate or classify a tug is called Bollard Pull, although Bollard Pull figures, like horsepower, may be open to interpretation. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk