Author Topic: European shipbuilding about better quality ??  (Read 11677 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
European shipbuilding about better quality ??
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
Is this because of much better quality or any other reason ??  Anyone has more infos ?

European Shipyards Overtake Asian Counterparts in Q1

Shipyards in Europe received in the first quarter of 2016 more orders than their competitors in Asia, German Shipbuilders and Ocean Industries Association Verband f
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: European shipbuilding about better quality ??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
30-odd years ago I might have tended to agree with the above statement but nowadays I might not be so sure. Ted: can you point us in the direction of a link to the report that you mention?
Interestingly, the photo posted recently of the lengthening job on the ARALUEN at Harland & Wolff serves to remind us that European shipbuilding was not always completely clear of the occasional massive cock-up
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:14:13 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »
According to the comment by Patagualino to the pic of the two Maersk tankers, it

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »
Yes Bob I can quite see how you arrive at that observation.
I felt it noteworthy to bring to attention simply to point out that the European yards are not doing too badly.
Also that over-construction should be a consideration:
As with containerships, everybody seems to want to cash in the lucratve (? Not sure that it is to be honest) Cruise sector.
The reported 10 for Malaysia alone sounds excessive although no figures are given in respect of size etc.
Whereas 10 inter-Island Ferries (for Malaysia) would not be "over construction".

As regards the ARALUEN...all part of the "learning Curve"!
(But it was completed & had a long career thereafter.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:42:04 PM by Patagualino »
Cheers: Steve.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »
Shipyards in Europe received in the first quarter of 2016 more orders than their competitors in Asia
is highly misleading.  In fact, written that way, it's probably nowhere near true.  Further on in the press note it is made clear that this is referring to the value of orders only. After all $3.7bn could be less than four cruise ships.

The inclusion of tonnage ordered, or numbers of orders would no doubt spoil the headlines (I don't doubt the actual figures - they are souced to Clarksons).   Also worth noting that three months is a very short period to use for such comparison.

The press piece is at http://www.vsm.de/de/presseinformation/7123 (not available on VSM's English-language pages yet)

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:39:46 PM »
Couldn't agree more.....3 months is nothing in the scale of things...The years dealings & contracts will give a far fairer assessment of the true situation.

But I was only stating what the article in "Maritime Connector" reported: I quote:
"The ordering streak continues into the second quarter as well. Earlier this month, Malaysian Genting Group ordered ten cruise ships from three German shipyards
Cheers: Steve.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I posted it more because I was surprised that,beside a few renown yards, the european shipbuilding industry at least still can compete.
This could however have to do with the fact that owners are not willing to place big orders with some asian yards to make the buildings because just the big ones are now a kind of in the jam and if they topple or other problems from the financial side the ships might be delivered serverely delayed, in the cruise business a deadly situation.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »
This is some more info about this topic. Earlier this month, Malaysian Genting Group ordered ten cruise ships from three German shipyards

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
The Genting Group order does also appear in a different light when you take into account that Genting is the owner of these three German shipyards...

Cheers
Jens

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »
thanks info Jens,, that makes it sure different

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
It is a long time since the Wismar yard built a large passenger ship and I don't think the Warnem

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »
I don't know which ship will be built by which shipyard. The order consists of 6 river cruise ships, 1 mega-yacht (whatever that is supposed to be) and 3 cruise liners to be built at Wismar, Warnem

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:34 PM »
Should have dug deeper from the beginning... ::)

The mega-yacht and the three cruise liners of Genting's ten ships will be built at Bremerhaven (Crystal Endeavour being the yacht).

I guess this leaves the river cruise ships for Wismar, Warnem

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 03:29:55 AM »
Your a pro Jens - Thanks for the great info. I did not know that, although it is very important in regards to the article.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
That's an interesting topic Theo even though the headline numbers quoted were somewhat misleading.

Contracting has slowed this year so far which is perhaps good news in stemming the over supply of tonnage we have witnessed in recent years.

The facts of the matter for European compared to Asian contracting activity for the first four months of this year are that European yards accounted for 23% of the orders placed globally. As mentioned earlier, most (89%) of these orders were for higher value vessels such as cruise and passenger vessels. This represents 62% of the estimated global newbuilding investment.

82% of contracts at Asian yards were for lower cost Bulk Carriers, and only 2% were for passenger vessels/ferries.

So we can see these are indeed two very different markets.

Best Regards
John Jones
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk