Author Topic: Funnel Markings  (Read 12109 times)

Offline D. Boyd

• Newcomer
  • OK, so it was me 28 years ago.
    • View Profile
Funnel Markings
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Hi,
 ..... When I was a kid (and that's longer than I really want to think about) my dad, who was an avid photographer of anything transportation had a couple books that identified shipping companies by funnel markings.  I'm not sure if it was English printed, but he did get a lot of his reference books from the UK.  The books, although in black & white (with color ID), showed designs of funnels and hulls for shipping companies.  It also included information on the company, its fleet, etc.  Closest thing I have to that is a 1942 Janes Merchant Ships.  Maybe Janes still publishes, but I'm sure that's pretty pricey.
 ..... Anyone know of a resource on the internet (my dad would have loved the internet) with that kind of information?  I'm always interested in who owns a ship and what flag they're under.

Thanks, Dave
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:55:52 PM by D. Boyd »

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Funnel Markings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
Hi Boyd,
try  www wrecksite.eu.  search under wrecks, then owners or flags.
lots of companies flags etc
regards.

Offline reeferskip

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://shipspotting.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
Hi, books on flags, funnels & hull colours published in UK post WW2 have been by Adlard Coles & most recently by J.L.Loughran. The Talbot-Booth books had them in black & white.

Tony

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:11:38 PM »
Flags, Funnels and Hull Colours by Adlard Coles by Colin Stewart revised by John S Styring. First published 1953 , revised a few times. My edition revised and enlarged 1963. Pre ISBN numbers. (1010 funnel colours)
Example on Amazon at the moment https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flags-Funnels-Colours-Colin-Stewart/dp/B000VEVCQG (1957 edition
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:16:10 PM by ChasB46 »

Offline airds

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
Website try http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/x~hf.html

Various editions of Brown's Flags and Funnels: Shipping Companies of the World from second hand bookshops.

The 'bible' is 'Survey Of Mercantile Houseflags & Funnels' by J.L. Loughran - again 2nd hand from ABE Books, etc. https://goo.gl/Zs2Cwo

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »
There were a series of booklets published by Adlard Coles, Southampton called 'Ships of....' I have Southampton, Dover, Mersey, London and I think they also did Clyde and these have funnel colours, in colour on the inside front and back covers, of the shipping lines that regularly used the named ports.   Back then, in 1962 they were 3/6 about 20p in todays money !!!  They were also well illustrated and had useful comments on the shipping companies.

The advert on the back suggests the book on Flags, Funnels and Hull colours was a mighty 12/6 back then, wow nearly 65p. - wish I had bought one but I don't think the holiday money stretched that far back then.

Allan

Offline Patrick Deenik

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:25:55 AM »
Good morning,

Shortly I got interested in ships funnel markings
Now I am wondering,when I am looking at Equasis,what I have to put under the photo's.
Equasis gives 3 different options:

ISM manager
Ship manager/Commercial manager
Registered owner

My feelings tells me: Registered ownwer, but I want to be sure.

I hope somebody can and will help me.

Thank you,

Patrick

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »

Offline Patrick Deenik

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile