Author Topic: SAFMARINE MERU ablaze following collision with NORTHERN JASPER  (Read 32457 times)

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
Re: SAFMARINE MERU ablaze following collision with NORTHERN JASPER
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »
Electronic wizardry is all well and good provided it is used properly and responsibly, often it is not.
I was never a sailor, that non de plume is reserved for those who pretend to go to sea in grey ships and yacht clubs. However, I was and still am a seaman.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
BobS and Krispen

all valid points, so even when
Northern Jasper had other vessels on her stb on which they reacted with course changes, that still does not explain why the last port course change into the path of the other ship. If there were other traffic on her stb side, then another option would have been to reduce or stop,, but a full port maneuver into the path of another vessel can not be excused by traffic on the stb. If so,,that would mean I can do it against the rule if I have a seemingly good excuse to do so.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »
I stand corrected, Jim. I was being a bit flippant and didn't put the brain properly in gear regarding sailors and seamen. No disrespect intended. This incident seems to me such an outrageous contravention of every rule in the book that I think the inquiry will reveal either the involvement of a third party (eg fishermen) or, more likely, some kind of steering or other technical failure. We'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:47:48 PM by Bob Scott »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk