Author Topic: SAFMARINE MERU ablaze following collision with NORTHERN JASPER  (Read 32453 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SAFMARINE MERU ablaze following collision with NORTHERN JASPER
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
AIS tracks
It is unbelievable how often both ships changed courses like both tried to make a collision and on top of that the Northern Jasper made in the last
moment a hard PORT maneuver, which is explizit mentioned in the rules not to do,, both 5 degrees timely to stb and they would have passed easy. Really would like to know what nationality officers were on those bridges and where they got their licenses !!!!!

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/6068-Video-Safmarine-Meru-collision-with-Northern-Jasper-in-East-China-Sea
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:20:31 PM »
do these guys have radar, radio or eyes.....uncredible, more like bumper cars

Allan

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
Believe me, it's more or less common practice these days that a lot (putting it mildly) of mariners have absolutely no idea what they are doing on watch.
Radar, Ecdis and all other electronic aids, not to forget AIS, only make things worse. Just look outside and take sight-bearings of visual targets (that you spot outside the window!) and these accidents would never happen.
Nationality's, yeah better not to talk about that.
Cheers,
Roy

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:37 AM »
@ Roy
Well,,when as Master one mentions to a young OOW to look out of the window you are considered as backward.
The main problem is that a lot new electronics like ECDIS/AIS etc was "pushed" onto ships and officers without proper training. It is most of the time placed aboard and deal with it or not.
This back and force as you can see on both ships tracks is exactly what is today standard. Bear in mind we talk about big ships and not little coasters and such. Also the abandoning of the vessel seems to have been a panic reaction, in other words badly trained crews which loose quick situation awareness.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Clydee

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:08:53 AM »
Well, it certainly looks like "Northern Jasper" was hell bent on hitting the "Meru", and the latter did not have many objections...

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 06:34:21 AM »
Exactly Ted,
And nowadays with these 'cut throat' and fierce competition the one with the cheapest crews is loosing the least money.
And 'never mind' as long as they have proof of training and all their certificates according STCW the insurance company will pay out.
I guess you also have lots of "experiences'.
Cheers,
Roy

Offline reeferskip

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://shipspotting.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
I can well remember having to explain to some of my officers that the most important collision avoidance equipment was the wheelhouse windows.

Tony

Offline Tsarik Ruslan - Ship-Photo-Roster.com

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
Unfortunately...it is reality of ourdays, when every professional field is being suffered by very low skilled personell. Navigation is not an exeption. All these hitech features force the human to be more and more stupid itself. Dozens of electronic aids of navigation... + wifi and smartphone used by OOW and we have lost the real seaman on the bridge...
I don't know the details of collision, but the video, linked here, is showing that something wrong with that guys...

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »
To all you doom-mongers out there, the number of ship losses and significant casualties has been on a downwards trend over the past 20 years despite huge growth in the global merchant fleet.

I suppose it's sheer luck that ships are not sinking left, right and centre in today's congested waterways and oceans  ::)

Brgds
Phil

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:13:44 PM by Phil English »

Offline Krispen Atkinson

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Shipping Videos
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
The other issue is that today, news is more freely available, hence these kind of incidents enter the public domain quicker.
The Vessel Tracker video only shows the tracks of the vessels in question, it fails to show other "issues" in the region at the time (weather conditions, other vessels in the vicinity etc.), so lets stop jumping to conclusions - we (sat at desks, looking at a computer screens) do not know the factors involved which resulted in this unfortunate incident.

Krispen

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
Capt Ted said "Really would like to know what nationality officers were on those bridges and where they got their licenses !!!!!"

Maybe from a guy in a bar in Panama! (That HAS happened)

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Hi Phil,
I like to invite you to make a trip on board and that will change your ideas.
Indeed it often goes just good, but really the modern (young) seafarer considers it all as a computer game with little situational awareness.
Cheers,
Roy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:10:33 PM by MO Roy »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
Why would it change my ideas, Roy? However modern seafarers go about their business, I'm just stating a fact

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk