Author Topic: Shipspotting in Malta  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Shipspotting in Malta
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
I am thinking of going to Malta for a week for my 60th. Has anyone got any recommendations for a Hotel, preferably overlooking the Harbour? Also, are there many places where it is possible to photograph ships in dry-docks etc. Thanx in anticipation.

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting in Malta
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
Hi Colwyn,
the best hotels overlooking the harbour, that is Grand Harbour, the principal harbour in Malta also known in shipspotting.com as Valletta harbour are the British Hotel and the Grand Harbour Hotel which overlook the harbour. There are also some boutique hotels in Valletta.
As to shipspotting sites , the whole of the bastions overlooking both harbours at Valletta are good sites, then there are our favourite sites for morning shooting, with the sun at your back at Senglea point and the surrounding bastions looking over the dockyard and the yacht marinas and Corradino Heights overlooking the smaller yard of Bezzina the inner part of Valletta Harbour. On the South side you can visit Marsaxlokk and Birzebbugia in Marsaxlokk Bay for the container ships at the Freeport.
If you travel to Gozo you can photo the ferries and other harbour cruise vessels plus large and small m/yachts.
Happy hunting Colwyn ,look us up at Senglea Point most mornings.
Best regards
Emmanuel.L.

Offline Tom Walker

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
Last year I visited Malta for the first time and stayed at Sliema.  From there I got a boat trip (twice) of Valletta/Grand Harbour with (I think) a company called Lazzu.  I was recommended to use them because they operated smaller boats and could get closer in the smaller creeks.  The trip was extremely interesting and as soon as the boat skipper realised that I wanted to see/photograph as many ships as possible, he definitely earned his tip!

The same company also operates a trip from Sliema to Marsaxlokk for the Sunday market which takes you past the main container berth.  On the day we went we had an onshore breeze and so kept out to sea when passing the south of the island which gave me good views of one of the inner bunkering anchorages.

(I should state here that other local cruise operators also exist).

I really enjoyed my time there and hope that you do,

Best regards

Tom

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
Thank you both very much. With a bit of luck I may be there in November.

Clydee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
If you know good locations please also record them for later use in the Shipspotting Locations subcategory under the Harbour Overview Images Category

There is a guidance FAQ under the Category Standards heading reached from the Support tab on the Home page

Clyde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk