Author Topic: The Topaz (ex Empress of Britain) due U.K. and Europe  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
The Topaz (ex Empress of Britain) due U.K. and Europe
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:40:08 AM »
Had a tip off from a friend to say that "THE TOPAZ" - the former Empress of Britain, built 1956 at Fairfields, is due at Tilbury in May. She's now under the "Peaceboat" banner and their website confirms that she will be at Tilbury on the 19th May, followed by Bergen on 22nd and Dublin on 26th. More details at:
http://www.peaceboat.org/english/voyg/53/index.html

Cheers
Phil

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Topaz (ex Empress of Britain) due U.K. and Europe
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 12:10:30 PM »
That's right, I noticed her in the list in the May issue of "Ships Monthly" a couple of weeks ago. Another interesting cruise ship amongst the ones due on the Thames during May is the NIPPON MARU which is due at Greenwich on the 28th & 29th May whilst on a world cruise.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
According to the PLA website she's now due at Tilbury on the 20th, berthing Tilbury Dock NOT Landing Stage. Departure given as 20th, no times however.

Phil

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:11:48 AM »
I emailed the London agent and they've replied to say the ETA is 0530 19/5/2006 and ETD 1500 19/5/2006, berthing 40 berth Tilbury Dock, This is bad news for those of us who were hoping to catch her sometime at the weekend.

Phil

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
I understand that the Japanese Peace Boat organisation owners of 'Topaz', have begun a search for a replacement vessel. :-(
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:02:26 PM »
The PLA website has her sailing on the 20th, can anyone confirm her sailing time?

Also, mentioned earlier in the thread, the NIPPON MARU is due at Greenwich on the 28th, moves down river to Tilbury Stage on the 29th and sails from there later in the day. No times given for her movements.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »
Hi Bob, as posted in my earlier message, the vessel's Thames agent advised that the ETD is 15.00 on Friday 19th.

I guess we will have to take a chance as to who is correct, unless anyone has a contact at the PLA they can lean on??

Phil

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:40:31 PM »
Hi Phil,

Hope your right because I can get there on Friday but not over the weekend. Will have to see how it pans out.

Cheers

Bob

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:21:44 AM »
I hope the sun comes out for you Bob! I was considering a 'dawn raid' this morning before work but changed my mind when I looked out of the window  :-x
regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
After the CALYPSO fire the other week after leaving Tilbury, the MCA checked another old cruise ship, the VISTAMAR, the other day and after landing her passengers in London, have now detained her in Tilbury Dock. I wonder if this is why THE TOPAZ has gone into the dock and not the landing stage, for inspection?
After her appearance on the Television program "Cruises from Hell" the other night, she may well be here some time  :lol: LOL

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »
The Rhapsody is occupying the Landing Stage today, they used to have more than one ship on there at a time but I'm not sure if that is still possible. Food for thought though Bob. She arrived ahead of schedule this morning so it was probably still dark. The PLA are still listing her as sailing tomorrow, and I've heard of two departure times from different sources - 15.00 and 16.00. Who can tell  8-)
regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 07:20:54 PM »
Well, the sun came out John, along with the wind, pity THE TOPAZ never  :-x , she still there now (20:00).

But did get to see msc's RHAPSODY sail  :-)

Photo's over the weekend if I have time.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »
Well it just goes to show how with the very best of intentions you can be really led up the garden path. I must admit that I was surprised to get a different departure time from the Port Agent, but I felt to query it would have been just too pushy, given the fact that they had no obligation to tell me anything. Apologies to all.

Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk