Author Topic: Removal of owner/manager information from photos  (Read 14800 times)

Offline ZOUKI

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Removal of owner/manager information from photos
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
Is there any reason the owner/manager details have been removed from the "additional information" section of the ship photos? Have they been relocated somewhere else on the site? Thanks =

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of owner/manager information from photos
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
Members may be aware from earlier threads that the supplier of the Additional Information, grosstonnage.com, closed down early last year.  It is now clear from the owners that that is permanent.  The information was therefore frozen at that point - and there is no facility to correct or update it.

Attempts have been made with the site-owners to find another source of credible data which could be linked to Shipspotters, but without success.

Some members will recall that there was already concern about the accuracy of some Grosstonnage data even when it was running, and the added update link was introduced to deliver corrections direct to them.  Shipspotting Admin have never had the facility to amend Grosstonnage data directly. In recent months, as the data has become more and more out of date, not only have members increased reports of wrong data (in the belief that we could amend it), but also the number of serious complaints from shipowners about wrong data has increased, and could only have got worse.

The owner/manager fields have therefore now been deleted.  The shipbuilder field seems to have gone as well and we will try to get that put back, despite its errors and limitation to the latest shipbuilder on the site concerned, though we will still have no ability to amend it.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »
oh noe, there goes the most important tool for me here onboard. Crap.

Tomas

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
No problem. The internet is full of these informations (Owner/Manager/Grosstonnage etc.). Shipspotter should know what they have captured.
Regards Peter

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
Yes off course. but for my purpose it was way better to have it all here.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
With Owner/Manager listed it was possible to see their fleets here & find their sites & perhaps some nice GA plans of their vessels (how I have a huge collection of them now!).  With shipbuilder listed it was possible to track down all their built ships, sister ships, find which ship is whose & why it looks that way & what makes it different from a similar ship by a different yard...
Regards,
Denis

Offline ZOUKI

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »
Would it be possible to put a link to Equasis (or similar) somewhere on that page?

I guess an alternative would be to have members with access to the owner/operator information add it as a comment, but that seems cumbersome. . .

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
If I'm not wrong there are categories that you need the owners name to upload photos.
ie Shipping Companies Funnel Marks/ Superstructure Logo Boards.
What's to be done now the information has gone, as you are aware you need to upload owners name and not ships name

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »
None of this is a great issue to me, there are plenty of sources on the internet to find the information, all you need to do is put the effort in, and in many cases it doesn't require much effort.

I often find that's is fun researching the background of a vessel, it often throws up all sorts of interesting things. Unfortunately, these days, too many people expect everything to be there right in front of them at the click of a mouse.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »
These sorts of issues seem to be facts of life now, nothings for free and guess we now have to pay $$$'s for the privilege of what we took for granted, money we don't have. Some members are great at adding info and I don't mind doing it myself. Could we add a notification in the site notices that many users would find it useful to add eg equasis and /or Miramar data to their uploads, but leave it as optional for those not inclined. And then the photo could have some thumbnail tag to highlight those with extra background info that members scrolling the ship for background info can go directly to.
Cheers
Brent

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:52 AM »
no thats sucks.
i used to like the idea of looking at the shipbuilder and open that up in another tab and you can look at all pictures of the vessels that particular shipyard has built, and also as others have said it was good to find out what other vessels the company that was listed had.

it is easy to find out info but i really like the idea of seeing all the members pics of vessels built by the builder, it seems that researching is going to take more time many people may not want to bother searching all over other places.

i see that data is also supplied by the company AirNav ShipTrax.

Tony.

Offline phantom53

• Quite a regular
  • Little old me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
it seems that researching is going to take more time many people may not want to bother searching all over other places
My sentiments exactly, I sign in to Shipspotting to upload photos and browse the other pics already on, I don't have the inclination or want to have to start trawling the internet to find details that were once here and if necessary used to find out what you needed to know. And as an after thought many other sites want you to sign up to get the details your looking for, to me this is not an option

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 05:26:26 PM »
Reply to Kommer 2013 ... Shipspotting network is maintained by AirNav Systems which develops AirNav ShipTrax, thus the relationship.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 08:29:40 PM »
No matter if it sucks or not, the situation isn't going to change anytime soon, unless someone comes up with a bright idea, so everyone had better get used to it.

Alternatively, you could always move to another site that does have the information you want. If you do, please let us all know which one it is, so we can all have a look.

Offline Bay

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:56 PM »
For me, the shipbuilder field was the milestone of this site. Please, put it back asap.

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk