Author Topic: Pop up / advert problems  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Jordan Seifarth

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Pop up / advert problems
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:16:08 AM »
For a while now I've been having increasing issues accessing the site in an enjoyable way as the adverts are bogging my system down. Each time I open a page on this website and check with my Task Manager, flash player has sky high memory usage and everything is juddery and almost beyond use. If I try and scroll up or down on the page, the delay is considerable.

Now all of a sudden there appears to be a pop up in the middle of most pages I open on shipspotting.com and Ive attached a screen shot of it. It never fully loads, or gives me the option to cancel it but remains exactly as in the photo. Any ideas? Is this website caused or have I got some kind of malware on my system perhaps. Only happens on this website though.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Pop up / advert problems
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
Hi Jordan,

I have PM'ed you

best regards
Derek

Offline StewartM

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
Can the response be made public please. I too am seeing these issues.
[

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
I have had and still am having this white stuff popping up. Any chance to make the message  public so I too (and maybe others) could get rid of it?
Thanks...

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:20 AM »
same thing going on this side. It went away for a couple of days but has since re-appeared.

Offline ZOUKI

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 05:59:40 AM »
It's now 0600z on 28 January and the problem continues. Might be nice if we knew what's going on and what might be happening to fix it. I don't mind having the ads to help support the site but this is ridiculous. (Running Firefox on Mac 10.10.3).

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Just live with it or use an ad blocker. It's a free site. The site owner and site technician do not care so nothing will be done.

Brgds
Phil

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »
A simple ad blocker that uses very little resources is Ad Muncher (free) and just sits in the system tray and checks IE, Firefox, Chrome etc. No need to install in the actual browser.
https://www.admuncher.com/

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
Just downloaded the admuncher and it works well, no more silly white popup  :) But I can't help but worried a bit about the website future. I have read before that the owner doesn't care etc. So does it mean that the site might shut down at some point  :'( ? Should we start backing up our photos (I have mine all saved but others might not).
Any thoughts? Can we all send an e-mail to the owner and swamp him/her with requests for more attention? Just a thought...

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »
csaba: You may well have a point in your worries about this site's future but anyone who uses this site as the main storage point for their photos is - to put it mildly - less than wise.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:42:29 PM by BobS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk