Author Topic: Marine Traffic photos  (Read 10457 times)

Clydee

Marine Traffic photos
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
Like many members, I upload photos to Marine Traffic after selecting one of a vessel from my shipspotting album for it.

After receiving the "Successfully uploaded" response I now have to wait many hours before the photo can be seen.  I have presumed that there is a queue waiting for a photo screening Admin/Moderator.

Do other members have the same experience?

I hope our site never adopts the same Admin photo screening delay process.  For me immediate access to the uploaded image provides a chance to check my work, both image and data.  A needed second access to the site after an unpredictable delay would be most inconvenient

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Marine Traffic photos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Today I can see the photos I have uploaded on 27. December.

Rgds. Juergen

Offline bendt nielsen

• Not too shy to talk
  • Sletterhage Lighthouse, Aarhus Bay/Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
Hi Clyde, I originally began years ago with uploading my standard ship photos for MT but after they introduced the new dessin on their sites, and thus the feature you are complaining about, I am completely stopped uploading to MT.

Best Regards
Bendt

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »
Hi Clyde,

A screening process for this site has been mooted but we have not enough active admins to administer it at present. If you think its a backward step then you need to make sure it is not implemented via the back door !

As you know I will not be on admin team after 1st January.

best regards
Derek

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
I can confirm that there is a 'holding period' after a picture has been uploaded since I have uploaded a few pictures today. The holding period is used to give a chance to the administrators to verify that the photo respects the site standards.

I personally think that it is a good idea. We, on Shipspotting.com, let all the pictures onto the site and then the admins verify the photos to make sure they respect the site standards. Hundreds of pictures are deleted every week after the fact where members get upset. Admins/webmasters have to deal with upset members and lose interest in doing the admin work.

Steve G

Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Clydee

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:47 AM »
Hi Steve

You say "Hundreds of pictures are deleted every week after the fact where members get upset"

I cannot see why members would get less upset about a deletion if the photo screening process had to be completed before a photo could be viewed on the site by members.

When I was Deletions Admin, dealing with Consider for deletion recommendations, the deletion rate was consistently less than 4% of uploads.  The number of deletions cannot be assessed without reference to the number of uploads.  In the past week with poor photography conditions in parts of our world the number of uploads was less than 3500

You also say "Admins/webmasters have to deal with upset members and lose interest in doing the admin work."

Dealing with upset people is a task in any management job.  If an Admin cannot cope with dealing with upset members then he should consider whether he is suitable for the job.  Friendly firmness and a clear explanation for the deletion can win friends for the Admin and the site generally.

Clyde

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:23 AM »
Clyde and on top of that we can make recommendations on how to improve a picture. I even do it myself sometimes when I have the idea that the poster is not fully aware of what is needed. I download the pic ture and send an improved version to the poster. I have not uploaded any of my shots anywhere else, so I am not aware of how things are done elsewhere. My main concern about the current system is that the category "considered for deletion" (CFD) is visible to all of us, which regularly generates a lot of comments. IMHO once a shot is CFD then it should disappear from sight until a decision has been made whether it can stay or not. (Of course the poster should be notified about this)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »
This MT policy of pre-screening uploaded photos before making them visible is already a year or so old; I have grown used to it.

At first, when receiving a "Photograph rejected" message from MT in my mail, I used to get a bit upset, but then I have grown used to it, too. :)

BTW, their standards are stricter regarding "not enough differentiation". Here on SS members routinely upload series of vessels which would be slashed in two if uploaded to MT. Also, uploading photos to MT is quicker than to SS, as there are less boxes to tick. :)

Cheers

Vlad

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »

I do not know how the subject of deletions is dominating a topic about Marine Traffic, but that said it is not unusual for topics to go off course.

On the question of Deletions I can confirm that the percentage is very low in comparison with the total of daily uploads, I can also confirm having had many years of experience complaints are few and far between and of those that are received the majority are settled amicably when the problem is discussed with the member.

Screening deletions has been on the to do list for a very long time, it is long overdue and hopefully one day it may be implemented.

Regards
Ken

Clydee

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »
Hi Ken

Re your post to the Forum Marine Post thread

I completely agree with your comment "I do not know how the subject of deletions is dominating a topic about Marine Traffic, but that said it is not unusual for topics to go off course."

My original post was to get feedback about the mooted (Derek Sands word) introduction of a process where a members photo upload image would not appear on the site until after it was reviewed/screened by an Admin.  That would mean the uploading member would have to return to the site at least once (more than once if Admin review was slow) to share his photo with other members and/or edit his work.  Based on the MT result the delay could be more than one or two days, unless there was an Admin screening team large enough to have someone on duty at all times when members upload to this world wide site

I cannot see any advantage at all to the member with that process,  Indeed I am apprehensive that many will react as Bendt Nielsen did with MT

Would you please tell me your perceived advantage of a change when you say "Screening deletions has been on the to do list for a very long time, it is long overdue and hopefully one day it may be implemented."

Thanks
Clyde

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

Hi Clyde,

I do not propose to get into a discussion about this, if I recall correctly you were an Admin at the time this subject was under discussion so should be fully informed, it was a while ago but I am sure you would have contributed as you have so often done.

Kind regards
Ken

Offline John van Zijderveld

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Johns scheepvaart foto's
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Hi Clyde,

I've got that to, mostly after 48 hrs they showed up.

Best regards John

Offline hansfair

• Just popping in
  • Hans Fairhurst
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
I think Pieter is absolutely correct, anything CFD should disappear from sight as soon as possible. To keep it visible provides the opportunity for all and sundry to start calling for its retention. This in turn makes the Admin's position more difficult.

As for MT, you are being generous Clyde in "waiting may hours", my most recent uploads are now at 3 days and still pending. They also need to clean up the existing mess before they get too judgmental, I've submitted a few "Recommend Removal" on some real shockers but to no effect so far.

Cheers,
Hans

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
I have always said that the photos in the 'photos considered for deletion' should be hidden from the general membership. But then again ... it would be the same as have a holding period.

Steve G
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
I have always said that the photos in the 'photos considered for deletion' should be hidden from the general membership. But then again ... it would be the same as have a holding period.

Steve G

not really, because if pictures are not considered CFD they stay on the site,fully visible. Only the ones that are debatable will suffer from a holding period of which the poster will be notified. As far as I understand the MT system puts ALL shots on hold until they have been screened.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk