Author Topic: Tokyo Spirit  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Pedro Amaral

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Tokyo Spirit
« on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »
This afternoon due to heavy swell and strong wind, the tanker "Tokyo Spirit" (IMO 9296377) ran aground in Cascais. She is currently being saved by tugs from the port of Lisbon, "Svitzer Funchal" and "Montevil"

Pedro Amaral

Offline Lu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://lmcshipsandthesea.blogspot.com/
Re: Tokyo Spirit
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:47:57 AM »
Teekay Tankers suezmax crude carrier TOKYO SPIRIT ex-PRINCIMAR LOYALTY arrived at Cascais Bay, Portugal, for orders and dragged her anchor in stormy weather in the morning of 17 October 2015. By 12H01 she sent a distress call after running aground at Cascais. First attempt to free her at the high tide at 18H30 17-10-2015 failled. Another attempt is set for the next tide at 05H30 AM on 18 Oct 2015, using more powerful tugs already on the scene.

See photos of TOKYO SPIRIT at Cascais at SHIPS AND THE SEA

http://lmcshipsandthesea.blogspot.pt/2015/10/petroleiro-tokyo-spirit-da-teekay.html

Best regards from Lisbon, Lu
See my best photos in my blog
LMC Ships & the Sea

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »
One wonders that such things still happen.
Stormy weather on anchorage close to shore, FIRST order
!!!! engine on short notice!!!!
which means that all what they have to do pump up the oil pressure on the M/E and the engine is ready to start/use, usually a process which takes 5-10 min max. A full engine ready process is usually between 30-60 min depending on the engine itself and also how good the engineers are anyhow.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline ventuari

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
Hi Ted

Totally agree with you. And I would add, what about the bridge duty taking bearings just in case (stormy weather at anchor and close to shore...mmmhhmmm)... ???

MBregards.
ventuari

One wonders that such things still happen.
Stormy weather on anchorage close to shore, FIRST order
!!!! engine on short notice!!!!
which means that all what they have to do pump up the oil pressure on the M/E and the engine is ready to start/use, usually a process which takes 5-10 min max. A full engine ready process is usually between 30-60 min depending on the engine itself and also how good the engineers are anyhow.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
@ Ventuari,, I set that as a given and did not mention it !!!
but I know some officers,,you drop anchor,,they switch music on and navigation is over
I would not wonder when exactly that what happened !!!!
Same thing with giving alarm in such cases, most OOW,s calling the master and waiting until he is there
I have hat in the standing orders on the bridge !!!!

Also personally Standing orders of the Master is a joke generally,,all what happens there that I tell
or have to tell the OOW,s that they have to do the job of the OOW,,like check positions,,keep look out etc,,,   thats their JOB and what they lerned before and in the nautical schools (at least so far the theorie!!!),,I should not have to tell them that !  But then,,if something goes wrong I have lawyers on my back because I did not tell the OOW to keep look-out for example!!!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
TOKYO SPIRIT now anchored at Setubal.
Looks as if, in addition to local Lisbon/Setubal tugs, the move from Cascais was assisted by MULTRATUG 20, which was in the area in transit from Tuzla to Vlissingen.

Presumably new crew on board after change of ownership and flag at Gothenburg earlier in the month.  Presumably that explains the ridiculously diminutive TOKYO SPIRIT on the bows.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk